Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a bootdisc to boot DOS to fix BIOS.

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have other threads detailing my troubles with my computer and my BIOS for my crappy Motherboard.
Now I have a floppy disc, but formatting it with Windows to make a MS-DOS bootdisc is harder than I expected. It takes forever to read the disc, if it reads it at all. Formatting fails almost everytime. I can't get it to format and add the two files to it to fix my BIOS.
Everytime I try to format it, windows tells me it cannot format it or something or other....

I'm depserate to get this done. My computer keeps locking up, and not seeing my Master Drive. It's really frustrating...

I need some help... again!

Edited by Purgatory, 22 May 2006 - 05:05 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you trying to format on a Win XP machine? You get only the error message that Windows was unable to format?

Possibly there is a conflict with the anti-virus application protecting the A-drive. Which virus scanning program do you have running? Try turning off the virus scanner and re-try formatting the diskette.

You could also format using the command prompt if you feel comfortable doing so.

Ron

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright, change of pace now. I have a floppy, with DR.DOS on it for BIOS flashing, I also have a CDR with it on it. Now, when I type in the filename for the flashing progam on the floppy, it boots fine into the flasher, then I enter the file name for the .bin file of the BIOS. It says at the bottem "Please Wait!" and it keeps flashing.. forever!, now when I enter the file name minus the ".bin" extension, it askes me if I want to backup my original BIOS, I do so.. it says its backing it up. After it's done. well if its done I can't tell, nothing happens. When I choose not to backup my BIOS, it tells me in flashing letters at the bottem "Source File Not Found!" I've tried absolutely everything to get my beta BIOS on my computer so my computer will hopefully stop locking up and not seeing my Master Drive.
It says my MB, has compatibility issues with BOTH of my hard drives, Master and Slave.....

I'm depressed and at a total loss as to what to do. Someone please shed some light on this please.

EDIT: Just some more info, in case it's needed. My MB is a s661gxm-U, the BIOS I am trying to use are BETA, but they claim to fix my problem.. asuming it's the reason my computer locksup all the time. Note. also when I boot into DR.DOS with the CD version of it, it does not allow me to run anything from my A drive, I have the floppy in there with the EXE and BIN for my BIOS, but it doesn't work, at all. Says, Command filetype or something like that, not recognized or whatever. Heh.

Edited by Purgatory, 22 May 2006 - 09:00 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi Purgatory:

Sorry, but I have had no experience on this matter. Hopefully one of the other guys in this forum will be able to help. Please be patient and they will get to you.

I would take time trying to search this for the learning experience, but Internet service pops in and out at times. They're still repairing Katrina damage and it takes hours and sometimes a day for service to be restored.

Good luck.

Ron

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I messed around, and formated two floppys via command prompt, made a boot disc with WinXP, made the other floppy with the flasher and BIOS image, I got it to flash properly this time. Thanks anyways. Just waiting to see if my computer locks up anymore.

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
The beta BIOS I used from the Aopen website did not seem to work. I'm at a total loss as to what to do now... My computer still feezes at random times.

Edited by Purgatory, 23 May 2006 - 07:41 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am confused--

first--PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT START ANYMORE THREADS. YOU ARE MAKING IT VERY DIFFICULT TO HELP YOU.

No one wants to go hunting through all of you past threads to find what has been done, what has been said, and where we may or may not be. Starting multiple threads is a headache and a half

The issue is...?

Freezing?

Drives not be recognized?

What?