Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Programs Pop-up

• Please log in to reply

blastvalentine

blastvalentine

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got a problem with my computer......when i open my computer,all the programs pop up for no reason and i don't mean those internet pop up. I mean when i open and start my pc...all the programs like Real Player, Window Media Player,Microsoft Office and etc just poping up and it slow my pc down when the computer starts....can someone tell me how u can stop these pop ups?

Advertisements

blastvalentine

blastvalentine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any Suggetions?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Read this first and see if you feel comfortable working it this way:

Prevent Programs from Loading at Startup

Or this way:

Go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG in the run box and hit enter. This will open the Microsoft Configuration Utility. From there, click on the Start Up tab. You will be presented with a list of all the programs and processes that are starting every time you start your computer.

Carefully look for any references that are causing the files in question to open. If you find any, just uncheck the box next to the reference.

I would suggest backing up any important data and making a Restore point prior to any changes:

Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on System Restore.

When the program opens, create a restore point and name it whatever you like. In case anything happens you can always restore the system based on this restore point you just created.

Hope this helps.

Ron

blastvalentine

blastvalentine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank You very Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Major Payne [Ron]

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome, but let me know if this works for you.

I did forget to mention that you will have to reboot for the changes to take effect. The msconfig utility will inform you of this anyway. The box that pops up notifying you that you made changes to start up needs to have the little box checked and then you can close that window. It shouldn't appear until you make other changes again.

Ron