Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

a whole bunch of problems with the mobo and gfx card

• Please log in to reply

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I recently aquired an older Pavilion 751n and I did a new install of XP. I also replaced the PSU. The computer works sometimes (I'm on it right now) and sometimes it doesn't. And that is the problem, I'd like to have it work all the time. The computer has a GeForce FX 5200 128 MB. After I reinstalled XP, I tried to locate a driver for the graphics card. I downloaded the generic one for all of the GeForce series cards, and the computer appeared to be fine. When I start it up, sometimes it goes all the way to the "loading XP" screen, then after it has spent enough time to load XP, the screen goes blank. I then have to hold the power button to turn it off. Then if I turn it on again imediatly after, it starts up just fine. It then shows an error message that says ~"there was an error and windows was shut down unexpectedly. a drawing operation failed to complete. window has found that the device that caused the problem is the GeForce FX 5200 128 MB." (I then have the option to send am error report to MS) I also can not for the life of me find a driver for either the mobo or even just the on board sound card. I have an old yamaha sound card in now, but would like to get the (presumably) better one working. I think that the problem with the mobo could be the BIOS, but I'm not totally sure.

Can you help?
hints, tips, tricks, moral support?

Thanks,
aerodude

Edited by aerostarlegacy, 22 May 2006 - 09:36 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it with an earlier version of the drivers

Download and save the ones you will use, uninstall the existing ones, run disc clean up and disc defragmenter, install the new ones

http://www.filehippo...idia_forceware/

You could install from the software CD for the card if you have it

This is optional between uninstalling the existing drivers and installing the new ones

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
As I was typing the first post, I was downloading XP SP2, I installed it, and now the computer won't boot up. It goes to the screen that says ~ windows shut down unexpectedly. what do you want to do? #safe mode, #safe mode w/networking, #safe mode with something else, # last know good config, #start normally.
either of these that i choose have the same result: the computer just keeps restarting, not going anywhere. I know that it is not a physical problem with the HDD, I'm installing ubuntu on it right now on my other computer, and I am pretty sure that the SP2 was a legit download (it was from update-microsoft.com (i think) and it took forever on a dsl) I can't get it to start up to a CD either.

crap

is all hope lost?

please help!
aerodude

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

If no go

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update