Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back Up C:

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I just reformatted and reinstalled & configured EVERYTHING! It's working GREAT!! Now, how do I backup my C: drive? By backing up, does that mean I can just restore it without having to reload windows and my programs, or what? I use WinXP Home Edition.

Also, before I reformatted, I tried to repair Windows. I got the prompt for which drive I wanted to repair--1. Then I got asked for the administrator password--gave it. Then I get the blinking prompt. I tried typing "repair", "fix", "restore", "Windows", or something along those lines but could not get past that point. What was I doing wrong?

THANK YOU! :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Julio...

Windows XP has a System Restore feature that works very well...when it's turned on. Always set a fresh retore point whenever you install something new. System Restore is available by clicking "Start", pointing to "Accessories", then to "System Tools", and select "System Restore".

For the Repair, it sounds like you took a wrong turn and ended up in recovery console. It's easy to do because of the way Microsoft has things worded...and...some OEM recovery cd's only contain the options to enter recovery console or reinstall Windows. Unless you were using a retail installation cd, I would suspect the latter.

wannabe1

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks! Yeah, I set a restore point--named it "first after reformat". :whistling:

I have a retail copy of Windows.

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I just noticed in your sig the link for Avast--do you think it's better than AVG? Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
1/2 dozen of one, six of the other....right now, I am using AVG, but I have used both. AVG had a better detection rate on last round of tests I saw, but that changes month to month

To answer your very first question

You should consider making a disk image. The easiest way to do this is to use a commerical package like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I have an old Norton System Works--it includes Ghost. Is that good enough, or does the standalone have more and/or better features. Also, where do I make the image to--disk, or can I put it on my D: partition?

I have my first drive partitioned C:, E:, second drive: D:, F:.

If I put it in my D: partition, will it ask me which OS to boot to? THANKS!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, ghost will be an image, and it will not boot to it...

I do not know what version of ghost you havem but one big plus of the later versions is you can make a bootable cd with the image spanning disks.

Older versions of ghost do not support bootable CDs, though it has supported it for a while, so it depends on how old it is

You could put the image on the second drive, and then restore from that drive, but don't bother putting the image on the same drive different partition--defeats the purpose

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
THANK YOU!!