Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange limited connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Zuisa

Zuisa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, so we've just moved into on-campus apartments that come with ethernet connections. Two of our laptops work just fine, but our third roommate's does not work at all. She's on Windows XP. It's connected to the internet and seems to know that it is (based on the icon on bottom right), but can't go online. It will connect to AIM, and will "work offline" - go to a couple websites she's been to recently. I thought it might be that Internet Explorer was to blame (I don't know why, it was just a theory) but I installed Firefox on her computer and that didn't work either. I've been through all the Internet and Networking options, and everything seems correct, but still, no connection.

Edited by Zuisa, 22 May 2006 - 11:03 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Zuisa,

In most instances of "Limited or no connectivity", WinsockFix generally solves the problem. Please download and run this utility. Once run, reboot and test your connection; any change?

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test.

If you're still having issues, please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

pureenglish

pureenglish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
im a having the same issue as the poster

i downloaded winsock and run the program ,then rebooted ... no change

idownloaded lsp-fix this is what i have

KEEP
mswsock tcpip
winrnr.dll NTDS
nwprovau.dll NWlink IPX/SPX/netbios
rvspvp.dll [protocol handler]

REMOVE

nothing is in remove only KEEP . what next :whistling:

Zuisa

Zuisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry my reply has been so slow, I'm on a craaaazy work schedule, but yeah.

None of those things works. It's completely baffling me why her internet isn't working. From what I can tell, everything in the network properties looks fine.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
On your computer, along with hers, could you please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it. This is just so that I can see if there are any differences :whistling:

Could you please get her to ping the following address --
Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now, type the following:
ping localhost <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping 127.0.0.1 <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping google.com <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping 72.14.207.99 <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping <Default_Gateway> <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping <Computer_Name> <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
ping <Computer_IP> <Press Enter> Wait for this ping to finish before proceeding.
Where <Computer_Name> is the name of another computer on the Network, and <Computer_IP> is the IP Address of another computer on the network.

From these pings, could you please let me know what sorts of responses you get; ie: 4 Packets Sent, 4 Received -- or Request Timed Out -- or Unknown Host etc..

Thanks,
Dan.