Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing - Last Resort!

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A bios update addresses basic input output functions of the machien hardware---it underlays the actual operating system

Such things will not fix and overheating problem, unless the bios update underclocks the gpu, which is possible.

I would certainly do it if Sony has an update

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Gerry, just to update you. I'm typing this using my old SHARP, Laptop B, as I've managed to mess up laptop A!!!!

I followed Sony's advice: Did the BIOS update. Computer still froze.

Did a backup of my C: drive to D: and then a recovery of C: as per Sony's advice. This put it back to XP with Service Pack 1, Norton/Symantec anti-virus and Firewall. Loaded my software, computer still froze. They now say that it needs to be repaired. (I could've told them that a year ago). I'm waiting for them to call me since yesterday.

NOW, I then loaded about 50 Microsoft updates, then Service Pack 2, before restoring the backup from D: back to my C: drive. Everything OK, EXCEPT the laptop takes about 30-45 minutes to respond to any click on the screen. It's barely operating at all. Has this anything to do with the BIOS update I wonder?

My laptop is now useless.

I feel like throwing it in the bin and buying a Dell!!

Why oh why oh why did I do the recovery? I should've just left it alone and let it freeze. I could use it for emails, Skype and playing games at least. Now it's useless.

Should I try the recovery and restore all over again? Should I have done the MS updates and SP2 before the restore? What about the BIOS update?

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Kevin

PS. Thank goodnes for this old slow, 192MB, Pentium 3, Windows 2000, Sharp. It's keeping me alive!!! It runs everything perfectly!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If the system is going to be repaired, are you certain you want to be doing anything?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well, they insisted I rule out it being a software issue by doing the recovery. They now know its hardware.

... still waiting for the call...

Anyone want to give me a fiver for a crappy Sony Laptop?????

...thought not.

Right, can anyone recommend a good Dell?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
One last question, which is actually software related but didn't want to start a new thread:

I've restored all my files apart from the registry etc, and all seems to be well except I have to re-install all my software. My problem is Oulook. I don't have the original disc. I have all the MS Office files and programs but it won't run.

I have Outlook working fine on laptop B, so I've copied as many files as I can across, but I don't have the key to run SETUP, and when I invoke Outlook.exe is says C:/Windows/System32/MAPI32.DLL is either corrupt or missing. I've copied this across from the laptop but still no joy.

Does anyone out there know how I can get my Outlook working again so I can get back 2 years worth of emails? (Without having to go any buy another copy of MS Office).

Thanks in advance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uhm, no

There are too many files from Outlook sprinkled about your drive for this to actually work

workaround:
Create a folder structure like so:

C:\Documents and Settings\{PROFILE NAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Place your outlook.pst and personal.pst (if there) in that folder.

Download Thunderbird email client from mozilla, install it, run it, and go to TOOLS > IMPORT

tell it to import email from OUTLOOK and it will parse the emails from the PST file to Thunderbird

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Gerry

Done all this, and it has a similar look and feel to Outlook, however, when I did the import it displays the following error message: "Unable to find mail to import: Check to make sure the mail application is correctly installed on this machine".

I have a sneaky suspicion I'll have to use the Outlook on my slow laptop B. I'll have to email the .pst file to myself from laptop A and press send/receive on laptop B, and then overwrite the .pst file in Laptop B.

Shame, cos Thunderbird looks very good.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, must use a registry pointer to find the pst file

You could do as you described, open the pst file in outlook, then install thunderbird on the old machine, import the outlook email,

then close Thunderbird on the old machine, and go to your Profile folder to grab the .msf and other files with the same name as your email folders, put them on a cd, and then drop them into your new machine's thunderbird profile

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Gerry

Getting there!!!

Tried to email the outlook.pst file from Laptop A to B, Thunderbird timed out, file probably too large.

Tried to save it on a CD, and it wouldn't even recognise that a CD was in the drive!!!

However, I set up Laptop A as part of a home network, so I could "see" the folders and files of B (and vice versa). The transfer of the outlook.pst file was then a simple cut and paste!!!!

I then did as you suggested and installed Thunderbird on B, imported my emails, then transferred the .MFT files back across the network to the Thunderbird on laptop A.

I now have all my emails back!!!!!!!!!!!

With regard to the freezing issue, I'm in a quandry, as I have 3 options:

1) Sony have offered to pick it up and repair for a fee. They had 2 opportunities under warranty and failed each time, and also I know they will wipe it again and I'm bored of having to keep reloading all my windows updates and propietary software.

2) My local PC Shop have offered to have a look at it. I favour this over Sony to be honest.

3) Leave it and just live with it freezing from time to time. Just have to press the on/off button and away I go again. Incidentally, it froze within 10 minutes of turning it on this morning. I only had Explorer and Thunderbird running, it was still cold and quiet. Very perplexing.

6 months ago I bought extra 512 RAM from my local PC shop. They suggested I remove the 256 that it originally came with and see what happens. So now its just 512 again (although My Computer is saying 448). It's much quieter I must admit. Yesterday I ran my application all day and it didn't freeze once. But then it froze this morning, so that's not the solution either. I may as well put the additional 256 back in again, or buy another 512 to make 1024.

Of the above options I'm favouring 2 or 3. What do you think?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am still of the opinion heat is the issue--whether it is a design flaw or something clogged inside (or perhaps an improperly seated cpu)

A local shop could handle the latter, but then, you could probably do it too

Try this--take a small fan, elevate the laptop, and blow the fan across the laptop...does it make a difference in heat?

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Gerry

This is an old thread that I need to formally close because

THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

Since August my laptop has NEVER EVER frozen.

I changed the RAM, each of my 2 slots now has 512MB, making 1 GB.

Perhaps I had faulty RAM from the beginning, but whatever the problem was it has now been fixed!!