Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audigy 2 Problems

• Please log in to reply

chaps_mc

chaps_mc

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an Audigy 2 sound card installed on my pc, with the lastest drivers from the web and the advance cd that came with the hardware. The problem comes when I run winamp. When I try to play a song, I get this error message, and it freezes the program: Bad direct sound driver. Please install poper drivers or select another device in configuration.

After that problem, I figured it was within DirectX, so I ran dxdiag to see if it had a problem there and turned up:Error- Problem getting extra sound info, result code = 0x80070057.

Then going into the music tab, I am able to test all my ports except for Microsoft Synthesizer. This causes this error: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))

Then I went back to the sound tab to try to test Direct Sound, which ended in this error: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))

I have downloaded and reinstalled DirectX again, hoping that would fix it, but still same error. Is this a problem even realting to DirectX? How would I go about to fix it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add / remove to uninstall winamp

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Re-install Winamp

http://www.filehippo...ownload_winamp/

chaps_mc

chaps_mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Didn't work :-\. Still got same error. Any other suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it only winamp?

chaps_mc

chaps_mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, It happens with WMP too. Also when I try to play a few games, it tells me my sound card driver is not installed, but I have installed it already... :-\

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you go to the creative site and click support then auto update, does it find the card

chaps_mc

chaps_mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, it picked it up. I downloaded and installed the driver and still same problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the version you have?

http://www.filehippo...ownload_winamp/

I couldn't get anything above 5.13 full (listed in previous versions) to run with Soundblaster Live Drive Platinum, it could be worth trying that if version 5.22 won't run

chaps_mc

chaps_mc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Installed the Version, still problem. I had a friend tell me to look under the device manager to see if it was there. The sound driver is there, but I have a yellow question mark next to Multimedia Audio Controller. Any clue what driver is that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That isn't essential to audigy 2, as long as it is listed in sound controllers