Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow download speeds

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I used http://www.broadband...s.com/speedtest to check the speed of my connection. I did 3 seperate tests and these are my results:

1: Your download speed : 1494 kbps or 186.7 KB/sec.
That is 54.3% worse than an average user on mchsi.com

Your upload speed : 229 kbps or 28.6 KB/sec.
That is 1.7% worse than an average user on mchsi.com

2: Your download speed : 1094 kbps or 136.7 KB/sec.
That is 66.4% worse than an average user on mchsi.com

Your upload speed : 233 kbps or 29.1 KB/sec.
That is 0.4% better than an average user on mchsi.com

3: Your download speed : 1139 kbps or 142.3 KB/sec.
That is 64.9% worse than an average user on mchsi.com

Your upload speed : 236 kbps or 29.5 KB/sec.
That is 1.7% better than an average user on mchsi.com

What could be causing my connection to be so slow? I've noticed my download speeds as low as 60 KB/sec before. I use Firefox and Opera (I tend to switch off). On Firefox I have the Fasterfox extension. I use Ad-aware and Spybot often. I defragement my drive weekly. I use Norton AV and Zonealarm. I tried a download accelerator, but it didn't help (in fact it made things worse). In the task manager I seem to have a lot of processes running. Maybe that's what's slowing me down. Trouble is, I don't know which ones to quit. Right now I have 50 processes running. That seems really high to me. I think they're all running in the background, but I don't know what half of them do.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
it is not uncommon to not know what all of your prossess do, but if you have a lot of them that you dont know that can cause some concern. do you suspect malware? if so Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.