Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop after reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
:tazz:
Hi, Hope someone can help me asap. I have a laptop that I am getting ready to sell so I wanted to reformat and reinstall Windows 95 and Windows 98 Upgrade. Everything went fine and then I tried to put on my isp provider so that I could get more current on Windows 98. It was updating the Internet Explorer to 5.5 when the problems started.

After restarting the computer, the box came up saying that internet explorer had performed an illegal procedure and had to close. After closing the box, nothing came up on the desktop and I have no way of trying to see what happened.

What I want to know is, should I reformat again and reinstall? If so, how do I go about it when I have no desktop? I sure would appreciate help with this one as I've never run across it before.

ferndoodle

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
you can do a format off a windows 98 bootdisk
At the A:/ type format C: then you can do the reinstall of your OS

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
tazz,

I tried but it didn't work.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Again,

After trying a few things now I am only able to come up with the black screen. If I boot up without the boot disk, I get the prompt C:\>

If I boot up without the disk, I am able to get to the screen where you choose safe mode and after choosing it I get the prompt C:\>

I don't really know what I should put after the prompt. Is there anyway to start formatting over and reinstall? I can't get Windows 98 uninstalled to get back to my original installation of Windows 95. Anyone have anymore suggestions? I really have to get this laptop back in working order.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I am sorry, that first paragraph should read If I boot up with the boot disk I get the prompt C:\>

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
There are excellent instructions for installing win98 on this site at:

http://www.geekstogo...s_98-t9803.html

Follow at steps 1-7 for instructions to format the c drive(c:). When asked “Proceed with format?’, enter y as shown at the top of step 8. If you want to do the win98 install, continue with steps 8-12. Otherwise install win95, as you did before.

ferndoodle

ferndoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, I was able to reinstall Windows 95 with my floppies. When I try to install the Windows 98 from the cd a box comes up that says: This CDRom contains a newer version of Windows then the one you are presently using. Would you like to upgrade your computer to this new version of Windows 98 now?

When I click yes, it says: W98 setup, This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. W98 setup caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at 000a:00000032

Is the computer detecting another Windows 98 that might had been on my computer earlier? Anyone out there with any ideas about my next course of action?