Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to open a program

• Please log in to reply

tennistm

tennistm

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I sometimes download something from the internet to save (to dekstop)back to the computer I can't open it.

I just downloaded a boating chart....when I click on open, I just get more file folders and nothing seems to open it. It is in a "zipped" file...whatever that means.

I tried to make this an attachment to this inquiry, but I couldn't get it to work either....I am just NOT a computer geek.

HELP

Thanks,
Tim

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you point to where you downloaded it?

What happens if you right click the file -- do you see the option EXTRACT or something like UNCOMPRESS?

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I right clicked it and clicked "extract all". A wizard then lead me thru the extraction. After it was all done....I still have the same file on my desk. When I click to open it, I still get the same dialoge boxes with other files, sub-files, etc....but, the program does not run.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any chance you remember which folder you extracted to? Run extraction of file again and you will probably see the default location of where your extracted files are. Or do a hard drive search by name for main file name.

Once you find the extracted files, the *.exe will be the one you want to run. Depending on your unzip Wizard settings, it should show the folder of all the unzipped files after completing the extraction. Don't close this one. The file(s) you want will be here.

Ron

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I'm not sure what you mean?
When I extract it, it comes to my desktop as a file folder (not zipped).
However, when I open it, it looks the same as the Zipped file...several files inside....but none have *.exe

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
By the way, here's is something I found out about the file sent to me...does it help?

Extension: 031
Program and/or Extension Function [What's This?] Company [What's This?]
International S-57 Hydrographic Data Electronic Navigation Chart US NOAA / US Army Corps of Engineers
Specific Notes [What's This?]
A vector-based digital file containing marine features suitable for marine navigation. The file is based on the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-57 standard. The file extension, ".000," for a base NOAA ENC cell is used for updating. The first update for a cell will be ".001" the next ".002" and so forth. The file extension .031 is used for catalog data (metadata) relating to the chart data.
MIME Type [What's This?] File Classification [What's This?] Associated Links [What's This?]
Graphic CARIS Easy-ENC Viewer
dKLook S57/S52 Electronic Chart Ddata Viewer
Fugawi View ENC
NavPak Demo

Identifying Characters [What's This?]
(None or Unknown)
Program ID [What's This?]
(None or Unknown)
General Notes [What's This?]
(None)

This is record 16820 last modified on 2004-05-18.

knexor2

knexor2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
The .zip file format is a compressed version of file(s). If you double-click a .zip file, it will open in folder view and show the contents of the file.

When you extract the files (through context menu->extract all), the original zip file stays put, but a new folder with the same name (minus the .zip) should pop up in the same folder that the zip file was in, unless you changed some settings.

What files are listed in the folder view of the post-extraction folder?

Edited by knexor2, 24 May 2006 - 03:48 PM.

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
ENC_ROOT
CATALOG.031
US1WC01M
US1WC01M.000
US1WC01M.001
US1WC01M.002

knexor2

knexor2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:whistling: Could you post the online file name (a link to the file you downloaded)? I might be able to figure something out if I had the files to work with. Maybe...

tennistm

tennistm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Here's the link to the download:

http://ocsdata.ncd.n...0/jsp/index.jsp