Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINXP Firewall won't start

• Please log in to reply

mace519

mace519

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, i recently downloaded something, it was a virus ect... and now my windows firewall won't start. I am useing XPHome. I scaned with norton and adaware and found a few trojans which i deleted. Now when i try to start the firewall, it gimes me this error

"We're sorry. The security center could not turn on your windows firewall. To try turning it on yourself, go to Windows firewall in control panel. In the windows firewall dialog general tab, select ON(recommended), and then click ok"

I do this and i get this error,

"Due to an identified problem, windows cannot display firewall setttings"

Any ideas on how i can fix this problem? I really want the xp firewall to work, and i do not wanna use any other firewalls, so if anybody can help, please do so :whistling:

EDIT Please do not post hijackthis logs in THIS forum unless directed to by a staffer, and then, only attach. Hijackthis logs go in the Malware forum

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok well i have updated my java like crusty told me to in http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=113823

Now, can you please help me solve the problem with my windows firewall?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
windows firewall is only for things trying to connect to your computer...you need a firewall that blocks incoming and outgoing connections...get zone alarm here

http://www.download....2-10039884.html

how to use it and set it up here

http://www.download...._4-5157528.html

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
that didn't work keith.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

mace519

mace519

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
took me a while to get my drivers working, but everthing is fine now, Thanks for the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know