Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow opening response from IE, folders, Norton

• Please log in to reply

YourNameHere

YourNameHere

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

I've encountered a problem in the speed of opening up folders (from my desktop) and certain programs (from anywhere). I wonder if anyone else has encountered this.

I suspect it might be related to some recent update of MS Windows or possibly Norton, so I hope this is the right topic area to post.

My system is Dell, Pentium 4, 2.34GHz, 512MB RAM, MS XP Home Edition, about 18 months old. I use Norton Firewall and Systemworks. I keep all programs up to date, but have automatic updates turned off on MS & Norton. I have a hi speed cable internet connection.

About a month ago or so, I noticed it takes several seconds for my IE Explorer to open when I click on any icon -- desktop or tool bar. It waits a good 5-10 seconds before the program responds and opens up. Norton also takes this long to open up, and also attempts to directly open any folders from the desk top w/ a double click.

Once my folder, IE, or Norton are open, there isn't a problem in the speed of using any of the features, or, with folders, going to other folders once the box is open.

If I try to open up a new window in IE once it's open -- using the "Open in New Window" option -- there is a similar wait of 5-10 seconds before the 2nd window opens. Otherwise, there is not any particular lag in time in loading web pages once my IE is open and functioning, or in using the "Tools" or other tab buttons.

There is not a lag when I use Mozilla Firefox browser, & I don't think much of one when I open up most other MS Office components, like Outlook, Word, or Excel. I use the browsers & click on folder options most often in everyday use.

I'm thinking it may be related to one of the recent updates in MS Windows, or possibly my Norton software.

I use my antivirus software frequently to check for viruses, and also use AdAware periodically.

Anyone else encounter this, or have any suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

Edited by YourNameHere, 23 May 2006 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to Windows Image Aquisition
Is it started? What is the startup type (auto?)
double click, set the start up type to DISABLED) and reboot

Also, are you on a network? Are you using mapped drives? Are you sharing folders ?

YourNameHere

YourNameHere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks

it says it's for scanners & cameras, and it's on "manual"

no network, no shared folders, I don't know what a mapped drive is

I have defragged my hard drive