Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compatability question for new build

• Please log in to reply

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
it's been awhile since ive posted but ive got some question's that other tech's dont seem to know and well...i dont really blame them im asking ahead of time.....only cause im curious and i love to hear some more professional opion's so i remebered this great place and here i am....

1.Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor -

2.ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard -

3. Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel -

these seem like three good core componet's for my third build. im getting 4 gig's of that memory listed above in 2X 1g pack's it's priced resonably.....

Im hoping this system im building will be able to handle DX10 games but i could be wrong....im also planning on getting 2 of these hard drive's...

4. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -

I plan on moving the swap file to the secound hard drive and increasing it to 2 gig of virtual memory for page file etc...

My main question is will the DX10 video card's although utilizing new graphical architecture....will they still be using the standard PCI Express X16 slot on motherboard's today or will they make it on a new form of mobo...i really dont know but i thought id ask....

Secoundly you might think it odd for me to pick that dual core processor that i have listed above....it goes for $128.00 on newegg.com....

the catch is im highly intrested in following after Tom's Hardware.com reveiw of this processor running at 4.0ghz per core... on water cooling....im hoping to recreate the same result's if not close...and even if i dont get 4.0ghz exactly it's still a steal for the price.

i wanted to see your guy's take on my new venture.... all in all this new system build will only cost me a little over $2,000 witch is fairly nice compared to Stock FX-60 leet gamer machin's on the market... that will cut your wallet in half with a $6,000 sword lol.....

the water cooling unit im planning on using.>

- CORSAIR Nautilus 500 Liquid Cooling Sytem for Both P4(Socket 478 and LGA775) & Athlon XP(K8) -

ill await your input..thank's for reading....

Edited by Metatron2012, 23 May 2006 - 01:52 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well 805s suck they can be overclocked alot but its isnt an easy job and SERIOSULY kills the lifetime running at 4ghz, also conroe is coming and they look to be cheap and incredibly powerful and there very low power consumption hints at possibly very good overclocking.

DX10 will use PCI-e, apart from the cpu it looks good but intel mobos arent my thing not used one in so long and not had the inclination to use one in a long time. Corsair water kits although i dont know that particular model they have a reputation for cheap and nasty they get the parts made by someone else and ironically the corsair kits arent as good as the kits as the people that make the parts for thems kits even though they are very similar.

Swiftech, Asetek and waterchill have a good water cooling rep and great products the Asetek triple radiator is one of the best you can get.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
plus get a proccesor that has an FSB speed of 800 Mhz thast a [bleep] of alot faster than 533 FSB cause that will slow down the speed of your memeory aswell

but thats just my 2 cents,
troppo

Metatron2012

Metatron2012

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I see your point scott.... although 4.0ghz per core is impressive it will burn up over time...i myself have to watch it cause i can get carryed away sometime's... conroe indeed look's very impressive with it's Super PI score of a mere 16 secound's....im really not biased to eaither AMD or Intel...i merly go after the best performance....

thank's for your opion's im now rethinking and planning.....i cant help it system building is a load of fun and im a performance nut so ill pay the price for speed.....

ill post back later sometime with a another system build later on this year.....im still waiting for directX10 video card's waht a trip indeed....

im glad DX10 card's will still work on PCI Express.... and o scott you as along with million's of other DX10 fan's you have to check out ( Crysis ) from the maker's of Farcry...that game looks very nice ;-)

thank's again for the advice....