Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spyware removal

• Please log in to reply

anunez

anunez

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Normally not a violent man, I've been picturing various scenarios involving the creators of searchmiracle and a vise.

OK - haterism out.

I was hoping someone here could take a look at my Hijack This log and tell me what needs to go and what needs to stay. For the records, I don't use AOL anymore and do not use an HP printer anymore. Any references you can find to that can be eliminated.

Thanks a million, in advance, for any help you can give me.

Scan saved at 7:26:32 PM, on 3/8/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gearsec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;http://localhost;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDBitSet] "C:\Program Files\HP CD-DVD\Umbrella\DVDBitSet.exe" /NOUI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VOBID] C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\InstantCDDVD\\InstantDrive\InstantDrive.exe /remount
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [antiware] C:\windows\system32\elitelob32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MicrosoftAntiSpywareCleaner] C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcASCleaner.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-bet...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} - http://207.188.7.150...tzip/RdxIE2.cab
O16 - DPF: {A1B09066-C95C-4EF6-8DFD-3DD0AFE610B6} - http://pak01.picture...ver.9.0.1.4.cab
O16 - DPF: {C606BA60-AB76-48B6-96A7-2C4D5C386F70} - http://www.verizon.n...tivePreQual.cab
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gearsec.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe

Advertisements

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
anunez,
Welcome to the forums, you have a couple of items that need to be addressed.
Please do the following first.

We are going to need to remove a few things, but first I would like you do to the following: The reason I am asking for these first initial steps is that it can clear up some items in the first part of the fix if needed.

I have outlined some preliminary steps that we need to address. You may want to print out these intructions for reference. This process will take a few steps so please be patient and follow the provided directions.

[1.]
First Download CWShredder
And save it to your desktop.
Close all open browser windows and any other open windows.

Install CWShredder, then:

Open CWS and click Check for Updates
Then click "FIX"

[2.]
Please run at least one of these online scans, allow it to delete anything it finds:
You may have to select the auto-fix option prior to scanning, it should be a selection box on the screen. If you are a dial-up user just do one, this can take some time.
If you are a broadband user, I would suggest at least 2 of the 3. One extra scan is most often times enough.Panda ActiveScan
TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Please make a note of anything that wasn't or couldn't be fixed.
Reboot your machine when finished.

[3.]
You may have run these programs already, make sure they are up to date and run per provided instructions.
Current Versions are:
Spybot S&D Ver: 1.3 Download Here
Ad-Aware SE Build 1.05 Download Here

Download and install both Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE.

Instructions:

Spybot S&D:
Go to your Start Menu >> Programs >> Spybot S&D >> then choose Spybot S&D.

*Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
*Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
*Close Spybot then launch it again
*Click the button "Check for Problems"
*When Spybot is done scanning, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries, "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
*Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
*Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

Ad-Aware SE FULL SCAN:
Go to your Start Menu >> Programs >> Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE >> then choose Ad-Aware SE Personal.

When the main window opens look in the bottom right corner and click on Check For Updates Now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window:
*Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform Full System Scan.
*Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
*To scan just click the Next button.

When the scan has finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.
(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)
The program will ask if you want to fix/delete selected items, choose yes/fix.

[4.]
Enable show hidden files and folders:

* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.

[5.]
Update your current Virus Scan Definitions:

[6.]
Reboot into Safe Mode and Scan with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE
Then Scan with your Anti-Virus Program

[7.]
Delete your temp files:

Navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Go to Start > Run and type %temp% in the Run box. The Temp folder will open. Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

Empty Your Recycle Bin.

[8.]

Reboot normally and post a new HJT log by using Add Reply:

Thanks,
rstones12

anunez

anunez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya rstones12 -

Thanks a million for getting back to me on my problem. I spent the better part of the day running my machine through everything you've prescribed. I took notes as I went along:

step 1: I ran CWShredder; nothing registered

step 2: ran all three online scans; got a hit with HouseCall with "ADW_ELITEBAR.E"; removed it, re-ran and it kept showing up

step 3 & 4: ran both SpyBot and Ad-Aware; SpyBot found "Elitum.EliteBar"; deleted it

step 5: currently using Microsoft AntiSpyware (beta); updated it

step 6: rebooted, rescanned; SpyBot found two: "DoubleClick" and "Elitum.EliteBar"; both removed

step 7: deleted everything in C:\windows\temp folder; tried to delete everything after "%temp%" in Run box, the following two tmp files could not delete: "~DF7CA8.TMP" and "~DF8CB4.TMP"

step 8: rebooted again and ran new HJT log; here's the post...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:15:52 PM, on 3/14/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gearsec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;http://localhost;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDBitSet] "C:\Program Files\HP CD-DVD\Umbrella\DVDBitSet.exe" /NOUI
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VOBID] C:\Program Files\Pinnacle\InstantCDDVD\\InstantDrive\InstantDrive.exe /remount
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [msnappau] "C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\Updater\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msnappau.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\BigFix.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-bet...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} - http://207.188.7.150...tzip/RdxIE2.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/s...nfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A1B09066-C95C-4EF6-8DFD-3DD0AFE610B6} - http://pak01.picture...ver.9.0.1.4.cab
O16 - DPF: {C606BA60-AB76-48B6-96A7-2C4D5C386F70} - http://www.verizon.n...tivePreQual.cab
O23 - Service: GEARSecurity - GEAR Software - C:\WINDOWS\system32\gearsec.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe

Oddly enough - this is the first time in almost a month that I've rebooted and haven't had searchmiracle stuff pop up within the first 10 minutes. However, I figured that's like hoping your ex doesn't show up to the same party - I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

Thanks again for your help. :tazz:

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
anunez,
Your log looks good, nice job.

I would remove this entry:
Scan with HJT this and place a checkmark next to this item.

Close all browsers and open windows except HJT and click Fix Checked

Reboot.
Other than that log looks good.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser<= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend Firefox, however Opera and SlimBrowsers are good as well.
Be sure to also keep up with Windows and IE updates.

Windows security and critical updates.
http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp

Internet Explorer security and critical updates.
http://www.microsoft.../ie/default.asp

And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? and AntiSpyware Net's spyware article: Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

Thanks,
rstones12

anunez

anunez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow.

I know it's an illusion, but my computer LOOKS and even FEELS clean. ;)

I've already downloaded Mozilla, which I first saw at work. Now that you've recommended it, I'm seeing just how cool and customizable it is.

I'll also keep up with the other information. Great tips for the technologically faint-of-heart.

rstones 12 - I truly appreciate all your help. I'll post another reply in a week to let you know if things are still on the up and up.

:tazz:

A.-

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
No problem, glad to help.

rstones12