Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formatting mp3 player

• Please log in to reply

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I have this old 512 MB Marquant mp3 player which used to work...

I accidentally deleted all the files on the player. Now when I try to load it up with music, it tells me the drive hasn't been formatted yet. When I right click the drive and select format, I can choose from 2 options:

FAT and FAT32. When I choose either one, it tells me it can't complete the format.

Do I have to format the drive to be able to get music on it or is there another way of making this thing work again?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you by chance still have the manual for the mp3 player?

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I have an instruction manual written in japanese english.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe man...japanese translated into english might as well still be japanese hehehe.....is there a sectioin about formatting?

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
One page of the manual contains the word FORMAT. This page is part of the installation process which is discribed in the manual.

Note: formatting the date area will erase all files stored in the madia.
Start download firmware.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know if they have a website at all? is there one listed in the manual?

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
No website in the manual or on the box. All I know it is this:

Brand: MarQuant
Model: MMP3-19.

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Dsenette, It's almost 11PM over here. School day tomorrow. I will get back to you on this first thing after school.

Thanks for your help so far.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's cool..i'm not finding anything usefull ala google on your player...

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I'm home from school for a long weekend.

I think I'll try to follow the instructions the manual gives about formatting the drive.

If it fails, I'll get back to you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me know how it goes

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I formatted the drive into FAT. But when I try to copy music files to the drive, it just locks up my machine.

Edited by emery, 24 May 2006 - 12:28 PM.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
some mp3 players will only work with the program designed for it. also make sure you have the right drivers. Also check for a firmware update. On a sidenote i have rio chiba that won't even turn on. for like a week it said upgrader on the screen when i pressed the power button. on the manufacturers website i found this to mean the firmware needed to be updated. when i updated windows ran the program and it said succesful but my mp3 player still wouldn't work now it doesn't even turn on. Any ideas about that

emery

emery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
hudihoo, it sounds like you are having a different problem. Please make a new topic for your problem so things don't get cnfused in this one.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mp3 players are special animals....rio has good tech support hudi...give them a call or an email...they may have an idea for you (my creative zen micro does a similar t hing to yours when the battery is too low to run the machine...i charge the battery and it's golden...maybe your batteries are crap)...

emery...unfortunately i can't even find a good website for the company that makes your contraption....don't know if they are in business...so...i can't make any suggestions for you on yours...