Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone recommend a flash drive for home movie storage

• Please log in to reply

degee

degee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Video clips taking up too much space on HD. Can anyone recommend another storage solution? Possibly a flash drive. Or, is an external HD a better solution. Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, if you have a fw thousand bucks you could get a flash drive big enough i suppose, i use DVDs cheap fast and easy to store and move.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Video clips taking up too much space on HD. Can anyone recommend another storage solution? Possibly a flash drive. Or, is an external HD a better solution. Thanks!

From your question I assume that you are less versed in the pros and cons of these mediums so apologies if it feels like I'm talking dow to you.

Flash drives (also called USB sticks, among other names) are handy devices that fit on your keychain or in your pocket. Their data capacit is slowly growing. Starting out with 128MB they are njow available in 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB and more. However the bigger they are the more expensive they get. I'm guessing at prices in US $ but say roughly $ 30ish for a 512 MB USB stick. That is jsut under the size of one CD which would cost you a few dimes. Given that video clips/files tend to be quite big you would very soon fill your flash drive up.

For the price of a big Flash (EG 2GB) drive you can get an external hard drive that has 100 times the capacity (EG 200 GB) ! This can connect to your computer through USB (ideally 2.0) or firewire.

The question is

a) do you want to be able to easily move your clips around to another computer. ?

If no you could also get another internal hard drive - the cheapest option.

b) Do you want to store on a rewritable medium so you can delete and reuse the space?

If no then follow Warriorscot's advice and just burn to DVDs (or CDs). You could also use rewritable DV D RWs but they're more expensive and very slow to read and write.