Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Restarts After 5 min... HELP

• Please log in to reply

km23

km23

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a P4 2.53/Corsair 512 XMS/Radeon 9800 Pro 128/80 GIG Maxtor HD. My system has been working fine for about 6 months. To start off the story, I was playing a song when I noticed that my right speaker wasn't playing any music. I then unhooked my speaker from the built in sound card. The screen when rainbow and I had to reboot. After I rebooted, I decided to play MOH. I loaded it up and BOOM, the system restarted. It came back and I was in Windows and after about 5 minutes, a random lock and I had to reboot again. I then updated drivers and the same thing happened. I ran Memtest86 and all looked good. I went to Safe Mode and the system did NOT reboot. I loaded back to Windows and it crashed. I then disabled the VC drivers and the system didn't reboot. I ran AntiVirus and AntiSpyware and nothing was found. (full system check) I went to sleep and woke up in the morning with the system completely off. I installed Omega Drivers and haven't had a chance to test, but I don't know what's specifically wrong.

Some notes:
1. When the system reboots, the screen is blank until it reaches Windows. This causes me to think of a VC issue.
2. The VC is really hot when touching, so it could be heat, but it's been running a while so long. Ironically, my heater was on for 2 months (no sound) and I didn't know. Nothing happened in those 2 months, but after one week of turning it off,
it crashes. :tazz:
3. Power Supply seems to be fine. Running an Antec TruePower 480. All fans are on and I don't feel any heat on the PS.
4. I bought a PCI Blower... maybe that will help, but it'll take 3 days to get to me.

Anything else I can test? I guess I can try to change VC's and see if it dies again. I was told to install an updated BIOS to see if that helps it, but I doubt it will.

Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Unfortunatlly I have more questions then answers, what mobo is it and more specificatlly what chipset, if it is via chipset and you recently installed sp2 there were some problems with the via 4in1 drivers and sp2 involving agp issues so you may want to get via version 455vp1 I think is the latest and reports indicate it solved the problem with sp2.

The no reboot in save mode does indicate a driver problem

The black screen showing no post before windows loads has me puzzled

I would take a close look at all the temps and voltages because of the shutdown overnight maybe the cpu got hot and bios shut it down but I doubt it if it was at idle.

I doubt any of this is much help but if I think of anything else I'll reply

Rick

km23

km23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
Thanks for the help:

I have a 865PE Neo2-V, Intel Chipset. No 4 in 1

Temps:

Tsystem: 32
Tcpu: 45
Vcore: 1.46
Vio: 3.10

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your vcore is a little low it should be 1.5 I would double check it in bios and set it to that.

What is your agp voltage?

What is your 12v, 3.3 and 5v readings? I know you have a very good psu and I always recommend them but I am looking for clues.

If you are using Everest it will tell you the gpu temp what is it?

Your other temps look good.

It does seem like a bad card so I would try another if you have one just to see if it runs well, this will also eliminate other hardware.

Rick

km23

km23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all of your help! I have changed my card from a 9800Pro to a 9600XT. So far, no crashes. I will keep you informed.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome and good luck