Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing a memory stick on 98SE!

• Please log in to reply

blaise78

blaise78

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I've an urgent problem. I have a USB flash memory stick I bought last week. I run on 98SE so I got a CD with the stick with the necessary driver on. The problem is is it won't work properly. I'll explain exactly what happens when I try and install it and hopefully someone can suggest what might be going wrong:

I switch on the computer, wait for it to boot up, then I insert the disk with the driver on. It whirs as if it’s trying to start up but doesn’t quite manage it. I plug in the stick. It prompts me to install new hardware, I choose the (recommended) option, but when I click for it to look for the driver in the (D) disk drive, it just keeps saying ‘Sorry, not able to find a location on your computer etc’. I’ve double clicked on the D drive a thousand times and done it that way (opening the folder entitled ‘drivers’, then double clicking on the install folder for 98SE, then double clicking on the set up, which brings up the install wizard, but al that happens with that is tell me it’s ‘finished copying files to my computer’ and that I need to reboot to enable it to work. But when I reboot, I just get the same hardware installation wizard that asks where I want to install it, and again, it won’t recognise the disk.).

Any help would be appreciated as it's urgent! :whistling:

Advertisements