Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer

• Please log in to reply

ahayto

ahayto

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

I am using XP sp2, AMD 3000+, and 768 MB of RAM.
I have recently replaced the CPU from an AMD 1800+ as I was given the 3000+ from a friend but I am underclocking it at 1.7 because I only have a 333 FSB. I have also recently started using firefox instead of IE.
Other than that nothing has changed.

My problem is that in the last few days my computer has become really slow and now when I look at task manager explorer.exe is running at 98-99% CPU and using around 170,000K or memory. It also crashes and hangs a lot or just restarts itself without any warning. I have run various virus and mailware tests but all have come up clean. I also thought it was maybe because my C drive was full but I have about 8 gig left.
I have attached a screen shot of task manager.

thanks in advance for any help.

Adam

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
One possible cause could be a corrupt or full index.dat file. To delete this file, we will use CCleaner:

Download CCleaner from http://www.snapfiles...t/ccleaner.html
  • Install it. Then start the program.
  • In the area designated as "Cleaner Settings", Make sure the Windows tab is the selected tab.
  • Under the category of "Internet Explorer", UNcheck all boxes except for the first two boxes (Temporary Internet Files and Cookies) and the box called Delete Index.dat files.
  • UNcheck the box next to the category called "Windows Explorer."
  • Under the category of "System", UNcheck Empty Recycle Bin.
  • At the top, click on the tab that says Applications.
  • UNcheck EVERYTHING! If there is a category called "Firefox", then leave the Cookies option checked.
  • Now click on Analyze. When it is done analyzing (it could take several minutes since this is your first time using ccleaner), click on Run Cleaner.
After it is done deleting the junk files, including index.dat, restart your computer. After it has restarted, see if the problem still occurs.

Another possible cause could be a cluttered registry. If the above solution did not help you, please move on to these directions:

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

And finally, if that did not help you, use the following program to collect more information for me:

Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract and run it. Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU.

If you can, a screencapture would be useful. Take the screenshot when your CPU usage jumps. To take a screenshot, press Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply.

ahayto

ahayto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks a lot,

I have run both programs and followed your instructions. No problems yet, although it did seem to be intermitent before. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully you won't hear from me again but thanks again for your help.

Adam