Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can computer "History" make a mistake?

• Please log in to reply

cheekel

cheekel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I didn't know what forum to post this under, but because I have Windows 98, I picked this one. Please move it if it should be elsewhere.

This is a dicey one, and I probably do not want to hear the answer, but I have to. My husband has a history of meeting women online, chatting, sex talk, etc. and has even gone so far as to go on 2 dates. After the last episode, which led to a near separation and divorce, he vowed to never cheat again, even telling me to keep the evil computer away from him for good. Recently, I checked on the History in My Computer, which will go back only 2 days. On it I found pages to Yahoo Games were being visited (his weakness, and where he met his last [bleep]), plus many User Profiles viewed, all women with colorful monikers. I did not visit any of these pages before seeing them in the History folder. Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY that they could have gotten there without someone actually clicking onto them? I have noticed that advertisements (is that called Adware?) and so forth show up there that I have never actually clicked on or even gotten a glimpse of. Maybe they were blocked, but still the History recorded them.

One morning I got up bright and early to check the History folder again, just to try and figure out how it all works, and it showed that a bunch of pages had been viewed already, when in fact nothing had been viewed yet for that day. That is what makes me wonder if there is any hope at all that the Yahoo Profiles magically got there instead of my husband being the one who deliberately brought them up for viewing. Go ahead....lay it on me....

sad cheekel

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the last episode, which led to a near separation and divorce, he vowed to never cheat again,

...i don't want to influence any decisions on your part BUT...you cheat once..you cheat again...(statistically speaking)...kick his butt to the curb..you're worth more than that...

now for the technical support

This is a dicey one, and I probably do not want to hear the answer, but I have to. My husband has a history of meeting women online, chatting, sex talk, etc. and has even gone so far as to go on 2 dates.

i would change that setting to more than 2 days if you're wanting to track him effectively

On it I found pages to Yahoo Games were being visited (his weakness, and where he met his last [bleep]), plus many User Profiles viewed, all women with colorful monikers. I did not visit any of these pages before seeing them in the History folder. Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY that they could have gotten there without someone actually clicking onto them?

when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar...well..you know...
it is possible for things to show up in your history without you activly clicking on something (popups and stuff like that) but those kinds of things are VERY general webpages..nothing as specific as a specific person's yahoo profile...just not gonna happen..

One morning I got up bright and early to check the History folder again, just to try and figure out how it all works, and it showed that a bunch of pages had been viewed already, when in fact nothing had been viewed yet for that day. That is what makes me wonder if there is any hope at all that the Yahoo Profiles magically got there instead of my husband being the one who deliberately brought them up for viewing. Go ahead....lay it on me....

if the guy's sneaking around on you...what would stop hiim from getting up in the middle of the night and surfing?....

kick his @ss to the curb..

cheekel

cheekel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
<sniff> Thanks, dsenette.