Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe 7.0 removal

• Please log in to reply

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm having problems with Adobe 7.0. With some web sites it works others it doesn't. If I'm on one of the school web sites and I click to read transcripts it just freezes and then I have to shut the computer down and start all over. I contacted the school and their tech.support said my Adobe might be corrupted as I seem to be the only person having trouble. So (I thought) I uninstalled and reinstalled. Problem still existed. Now if I try to uninstall it won't let me. It says I have a "fatal error during instal" which makes no sense to me. Also when I went to Windows Explorer and opened up Adobe it says there are like 1600 folders attached to it???? I went to Adobe tech support first but it is way over my computer knowledge. I also read so many bad reviews on Adobe and saw people were switching to Fox-it Free PDF reader. HELP Please! And my apologies ahead if I've posted this in the wrong spot. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

Try removing Adobe Reader

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you... I will try everything and be back with the results.

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks. Adobe is gone The Tune Up 2006 is great and addressed many other issues on my computer. I don't want to reinstall Adobe 7.0 but reconsidering Adobe 6.0 if I can find it again. I also read good posts on Fox-it Free PDF reader. People have said it doesn't have as much junk attached to it. Any thoughts on either or a safe download site? Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for foxit reader

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4763

For Adobe reader versions 2 through 6.01

http://www.oldversio...m.php?n=acrobat

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you again ... I think I'll go with Foxit first and see how it does.
Have a great day.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Perhaps you can post your opinion of FoxIt when you have run it for a while

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
HAHA...well I guess I'm just plain stupid at this stuff. I went to the foxit and clicked download. It came through as a Winzip and it says it's only a limited time user on it. I don't know how to extract it. I thought if i just downloaded it then when I went to the college area that I needed to read this transcripts it would all work. Have you stopped laughing yet?
Anyway. At least my computer doesn't freeze anymore. When I hit the stuff to read at the college area the page comes up but nothing is on it.
More help please....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unless there are a few versions, this is for fox it, is listed as freeware and an .exe file so should install if you click run

http://www.filehippo...download_foxit/

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
That one worked and in about 2 seconds! THANK YOU
It only takes a second for it to open up...amazing No waiting forever, no computer freezing...WOW! :-D

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
My review on FOXIT .... absolutely amazing! I can't even believe the difference. I would never go back to Adobe. Thank you again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the review