Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Projectors

• Please log in to reply

matt_h

matt_h

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
i have a packard bell easy note laptop.
i have to use it with a projector from time to time but can never get it to work correctly.
i set everything up properly, then turn the projector on, then turn my laptop on.
here is the strange part, the boot screen shows up on the projector, but when it gets to the windows is starting up screen, the projection stops. when windows is up, function + f4 doesnt do anything. in the end i use nvidea to use the projector as a second moniter, which is ok but i cannot use the powerpoint presentation porjector manager thing. am i meant to install software first? any help?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your video card should have an option for using a dual monitor setup (because that's what you're doing....)...with the projector hooked up and on...right click on y our dekstop and choose properties...now go to the settings tab...you should see two squares (labeled one and two)...right click on the 2 and choose attach...the projector should blink and now you should see your background image up on the monitor (if you're lucky you'll see a clone of your desktop...if not follow on)...click the advanced button and look for a monitors tab or something like that...and see if you can find a way to clone the desktop (alternately if you have an icon in your system tray{the little space by the clock} right click it and see if there's something about display mode or something like that...where you can choose a presentation style setup)...if you can't get the monitor to clone..that's ok...because now that the computer knows that that projector is connected (the right click and attach deal) you can use the presnter mode in powerpoint..just make sure that it is set to play the presentation on monitor 2

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i didnt know about the rightclick:attach thing.
so, will that make my laptap recognise it as a projector instead of a moniter?

i forgot to say that i can make presenter mode work when nothing is attached, but when the projector is attached, powerpoint tells me that it cannot detect the projector.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...it will still act like a monitor...which is what it's supposed to do...because..technically it is a monitor...

once you do the attach jazz...pp should detect the second monitor

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, the next time i use the projector is the 18th june so i cant really check, but i will bump the topic if i get problems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like a plan

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or...if you have a spare computer monitor lying around that you could hook up...it would work exactly the same as with the projector

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, i will try it with my computer moniter later.