Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

hardware and OSs

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Bought a new Dell end of January of this year. Am continuing my research about its problems.

It came with Media Center Edition OS because of high pressure from Dell salesman
Being rather a newbie accepted this OS

Had so many problems with my new PC that research elicited the info that Media Center Edition OS was very buggy. A dell tech that came to check my hardware after many complaints to Dell told me "off the cuff" that Dell salesmen were instructed to push this OS to new customers.

I asked Dell to change the OS to XP-Pro which I always use. They did so. Many many of the problems cleared immediately. There have been a few that still remain - example is desktop and file appearances will not hold once set. They keep reverting to default, screen saver does not always kick in. Having problems with the burning drives.

My software tech called me today to report he had another customer with similar problems with his Dell. My tech said he finally called Dell himself to see what he could learn. He was told that Dell builds its hardware to adapt to certain OSs and if they are changed problems will result.

Not technically knowledgable about this issue I do not know what to believe. My experience with India Dell techs has been so poor that I find it hard to credit them with any good information about PCs. And if this were true about changing OSs, then why when I requested a change did not the Dell techs tell me that there would be problems.

May I hear from some members/moderators here as to this issue?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is difficult to respond without context, but, while A Windows XP Media Center pc is equipped with certain hardware, said hardware is not incompatibe in the least with earlier versions of windows xp.

Media Center XP is windows XP with additional software to make it more of an entertainment pc. It requires a higher end videocard and sound processing to handle the video, but these cards are not MEDIA CENTER PC only

The screensaver not kicking in could be a result of poor video drivers, which can be updated, or poor power management, which may require a bios update.

Have you looked into those?