Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just replaced the back plate on a computer

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Everyone

This has me going crazy. A friend of mine could not use his rear USB ports, the slots were covered by the back plate, so I replaced the back plate. And now the CPU fan is going crazy. This wasn't going on before I did anything. The fan is running and loud.

The current temp on the CPU is 51 C (124 F).

Have no idea what I could have done. Checked all the wires and put everything back in as it was.

Any help would be welcomed. My friend is getting high speed tomorrow and I would like to get it back to him.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any chance you could put the old back plate back on and see if the fan slows down?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Forgot to say that when I turn it on, it comes on for a few seconds and then goes off and then starts up. Strange???

It's a ASUS A7V400MX motherboard with a 1.7 AMD processor

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I would love to, but it was bent to bad.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
figured that would be the answer...

so...you turn it on...it starts to boot up...and the fan goes crazy (does it start IMMEDIATELY...or wait a little while) then the system shuts down(does it get to windows? does it get past the normal boot screens? when it shuts of does EVERYTHING shut off...like fans and everything? or what)describe EXACTLY what happens

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks dsenette for your help on this.

It starts then before it gets to anything, BIOS screen, it stops and then it's restarts by itself and then everything works. Total time about 5 seconds.

When I stop it at the BIOS screen and check my temps, it's around 118 F and climbs up to 120 F before I shut it down.

If I leave it and let it go to the desktop, everything loads up and the Window screen comes up (Win XP SP2), I run Everest and the temp is around 122 F

I have rechecked the ground on the pins to the case, everything looks good.

I have taken the motherboard out and looked at the holes, where I mount it and put electrial tape around them, remount the motherboard and still the same problem.

I even removed the heat sink, thinking maybe I might have moved it while putting the motherboard in. Cleaned it out, reapplied the gray stuff and reseat it.

I'm sure that the fan is just doing it's job and trying to cool down the CPU, but what's causing it????

Thanks again for your help and any suggestions

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the fan plugged into the right plug? (i.e. cpu1)...some motherboards don't like it when there's no fan plugged in there...you wouldn't be able to sho those temps in celcius would you (i've gotten so used to seeing them in C that i can't intereperate F degrees anymore when it comes to system temps)...

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
the CPU is plugged in where it always was.

The temp is now 45 C.

Just restarted it to check

It is now 47 C shutting it down

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
47 isn't a blistering temp...most procs aren't hot till they break 55C

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
ok??

So it's normal for a CPU to run in the low 40s C?

I dunno. Since the hard drive and motherboard stays around hig 20s C and mid 30s C. Thought the the CPU would be in that range too?

The computer is powering up normally now. After I reinstall the motherboard for the third time. So that problem is solved.

Maybe I should replace the fan on the heatsink?? Could it be going bad??

Thanks for your help, again.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the proc will always be warmer than the board..because the board sensor is measuring ambient temps where the proc sensor is actually touching metal...

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for you help

The fan that is on the heatsink is just doing it's job and cooling down the CPU.

Since the fan is running hard it could be that it should be replaced. Right?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for your help dsenette

Just glad that I didn't mess it up.

Have a safe and Happy Memorial Day weekend.

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Sorry for butting in.

Have you checked bios rpm settings ? could it be that since you replaced the back plate it sounds louder.
how much louder is it like 10x-25x as loud (as in clearly alot louder then before)

also check bios to see if it has a "quiet" setting for fan.

I really dont understand what you mean when you say

Forgot to say that when I turn it on, it comes on for a few seconds and then goes off and then starts up. Strange???

do you mean when you power it on. it starts then powers itself completely off (fans/leds etc stops again) then powers itself on and then continues as normal ?

and 9/10 times if the fan is running to fast its not a fan problem but board/setting/temp problem if the fan starts making noise or spin slowly then it will be a fan problem tho nothing is impossible