Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM OR VIDEO CARD?

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

I recently got a game for my PC that is VERY resource-intensive. This is not new to me as this is my third PC and each time I've had a PC I've eventually gotten games that pushed or exceeded my PC's abilities.

I'm seriously considering purchasing an upgrade to better play my game and I was wondering which would improve my PC's performance more, RAM or a more powerful Video Card?

My PC has 512mb of DDR SDRAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 integrated graphics system.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Both your memory and your video card are to little and to slow, integrated gfx sucks big time even the better ones like the 6100 still arent anywhere close to the cards. But you dont have alot of ram either. You really need at least another 512Mb of ram i gig is the standard now and things like having that much memory.

What are the rest of the specs on the system its hard to judge whats best without knowing cpu speeds and gfx interface.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello again, warriorscot.

My PC has the following: 1.8 mhz processor
512 ram
100-ish gb hard drive
GeForce 6100 integrated video

What's gfx interface and how do I find it on my PC?

Thanks.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just wondering, what game are we talking about?

Second, 512 is not great but it is a whole lot better than your integrated graphics. I say get away from that ASAP, memory can always be upgraded later. (Keep in mind 512 RAM isn't good persay, but integrated graphics are far worse.)

Also, depending on the game, your 1.8Ghz (not Mhz) processor may lack as well (that's becoming the minimum for most games these days :whistling:)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to find the recommended specs for the games you want to play..NOT THE MINIMUM then get a video card first

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks for the replies.

BlackPandemic: I do want to get away from integrated graphics. Price is my nemesis. I really don't think processor will change as much as ram or card. Card especially. Too expensive anyway.

happyrck: Easily enough said if you're not on a budget. Mine is $100. Otherwise I have to wait 3-6 months.

Thanks again.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Some more questions for you so I can help you search:
A) You never answered what game this was, that's kind of important.
B) Do you know what kind of graphics card your mobo supports (PCI-E, AGP, PCI)?

Depending on the game you can get a card under $100 that will play the game, not on high graphics of course, but it won't be integrated :whistling:

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

To BlackPandemic:

The NEWEST high-end game is Heroes of Might and Magic 5, and before you say anything, I know I'm under-equipped ALREADY. I don't mind games that run a little slow.

What's a mobo? I have a PCI-express slot. Is that what you were asking?

Thanks.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Your mobo is the motherboard. Anyways I would upgrade the videocard first. Since it's an onboard card it's using your ram, so your actually not even getting the 512 MB. Upgrading your video card will give you a big boost and free up some more ram. But not all games are the same. I've read performance comparisons from different games and they use different resources. The Sims 2 mostly feeds off of a fast processor. World of Warcraft eats up a lot of ram. And many of those high end first person shooters rely a lot on your video card.
All you really need is a good budget card. A high end video card would be wasted with that slow of a processor. So you say you have PCI express.
I suggest this video card. It's the same exact one that I have. I've had no problems with it at all. It offers great performance at a budget price. I also upgraded from 6100 integrated.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133016

For $77 bucks it'll play almost any game out there. Obviously you may have to turn certain settings down on very demanding games, but who cares.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well there are certain disadvantages to the 7300, but if you are stuck in a corner. But you do have good integrated so its not as deadly terrible as he rest of the guys seem to think sure its using your RAM but its still a fairly decent dx9 gpu its better than intel by a long chalk.

I would probably say one of these http://www.newegg.co...&Subcategory=48 would be slightly better bigger memory interface and more pipelines than the 7300 and its x1000 core as well.

Also you could probably still afford another 512 on top of it a single 512 stick can be gotten pretty cheap.

If your CPU is a relativley recent AMD 1.8Ghz is more than sufficient they are very effective at lower clock speeds so you might not be as bad as it looks, if its a p4 then yeah its way to slow but athlon 1.8 is actually allright speed wise.

Advertisements

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

Gamerlicious: Thanks for the mobo explainer. I'm not completely slang-proficient just yet. Went 2 years knowing what DSL was before anyone explained what the initials stood for.

So my 128mb video is leeched from my RAM? That stinks. As far as the game(s), if getting an actual card will boost my "home" RAM, while adding video card ram at the same time, I think this will adress both possible slowing issues. Sounds like a win-win. I'll ask about these cards at my local surplus/supply shop. Thank you for your response.

warriorscot: Of the five shown in your LINK, which is best? The most expensive? What are "Pipelines"? Something to do with power, speed, "throughput"? Sorry, it's just that I understand the concepts of all this stuff, just not the specifics. Are these really superior in performance to the one suggested by Gamerlicious? If so, could you give me a brief explanation?

As far as more RAM, yeah, if I had $2k, I wouldn't even be here. My budget is $100, RAM will have to wait about 6 months. I understand, it's something worth doing, and I WILL.

The processor I have is staying till I get a new PC. I understand it's on the slow side, but I think it's the least of my problems. Unless 2.5ghz processors suddenly drop to $100, then I'll just work around it.
Thank you for your response.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If you jump on this quickly (like after very quick research) I would highly recommend going with the Sapphire X1600PRO ( http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102651 ) due to the fact that now it has a rebate attached making it only $85.

That 128MB is being leeched because you currently have integrated graphics, meaning there is no board to draw the video power from, so it sucks up your RAM (my best way to put that).
The most expensive are not always the best (although that has a tendency to be true). There are great options that can be bought cheaper. Pipelines in lamens terms (if I know anything) is pretty much the power of the card (am I right?).
You'll have to stick with Warrior to see what exactly the difference between the two are considering he's a hardware "warrior" but I would recommend the X1600PRO by Sapphire.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

To BlackPandemic: Thanks for the heads-up. Could you give me a little info on why you think this one is the best? Is it the sheer power/price relationship?

I had the RAM "leeching" because of my integrated graphics system explained already, but thanks. Makes getting an actual "card" an even more beneficial upgrade. Boosting both "home" RAM as well as video RAM should really give me a boost.

Anyway, if I can't get this at my local computer surplus/supply shop, or at some larger chain-type that stocks components, then I'll have to pass. I don't have a credit card, so buying on-line isn't an option.

Thanks for the reply.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can buy online if you have a ATM debit card with the Visa or Master card logo on it

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hello.

Thanks happyrck, for the info. Sorry, I have a savings account and that's IT. Don't even want checks or cards of any type. I know, I'm a semi-luddite, but that's just me. Thanks for the reply.