Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM OR VIDEO CARD?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The only problem with retail stores (here in MD anyway) is that they often don't have what I need and when they do it's inflated like a helium elephant. So finding a retail store that carries the card you're looking for may prove difficult. Where are you located?

Advertisements

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello, BlackPandemic.

I'm in Wichita(bleh). I don't usually look for stuff at chains, but office depot or office max, whichever one it is I can't remember, does have competetive prices. At least it does here.

I usually shop at a local place called computer surplus. They have stuff new, used, and re-furbished. Excellent prices, good selection, and I have an old semi-close friend who works there. They usually have everything I need or can tell me where to go to get it at a good price.

"I got an angle, Charlie".

Thanks for the reply.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I mean check at "computer surplus" for the one I linked earlier but I know that Office Depot/Max will NOT have what you need.

Oh the powers of a debit card (better than credit, it's like a checking...but better :blink: ) I dunno how I would have the computer below without it (considering it's from CyberPower :whistling:)

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

To BlackPandemic: Yeah, Rub it in.

I know I'm low end, but saving for big ticket stuff takes me awhile. I love computers for being such a great tool AND toy at the same time, and I really would like to get something higher-end, but I just can't afford to spend a lot on something that's not a necessity.

Besides, the games I play USUALLY don't need the more powerfull stuff. I'm more into strategy and RPGs, not First-Person shoot-em-ups. It seems the graphic specs are getting out of hand for everything now.

Thanks for the reply.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
That 7300 GS I linked to was only $77 on newegg.com. I actually bought it at Bestbuy. Trouble is at Bestbuy they charge $120 for the same card. So if you want to buy from a store, expect them to tack on $40 more.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

To Gamerlicious: Too true. Shop at Best Buy and just hand over your wallet. EVERYONE I've talked to about this keeps linking me to newegg. Too bad I don't use electronic cash of any sort. Still my local shop should be able to set me up. It's a nice shop, and they're "good people" there.

Edited by Cabranth, 26 May 2006 - 09:16 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol all the shops round here are good people they still have higher prices because they cant possibly sell stuff at the same price as the online retailers, all the cards in that link were identical or should have been. They were all the same type so you just look for the ones with the highest numbers.

So you dont use a bank of any kind at all all your money is electronic with them, even i the super money conscious that doesnt really trust banks has a card only for the fact its much safer than carrying cash around with me, i need to get a debit myself though just so i can order my own stuff i usually borrow my folks credit card for purchases online because with credit you get protection on the purchases. But yeah expect to be ripped off to some degree out of a shop.

Also another 512 of ram can be picked up pretty cheap and should be in budget if you can find a good price on the gfx card or a combo deal you can sometimes get.

Edited by warriorscot, 26 May 2006 - 10:12 AM.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

To warriorscot: I KNOW I'm paying a slight premium by buying from my shop, but I just don't want anything to do with cards. That's just me. They do NOT rip me off, though. They have always given me a good deal. Must be nice to be able to borrow someone else's credit whenever you want. I don't have that option.

Highest Numbers? Is that what makes one card better than another?

RAM. I KNOW they're cheap, but how many times do I have to say $100 budget. That's IT! If I could get both a card AND a 512mb stick of RAM for $115 it would still be too much. I can only save a little each payday because I'm not rich and don't have a rich benefactor like some people.

Thx.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

The processor I have is staying till I get a new PC. I understand it's on the slow side, but I think it's the least of my problems. Unless 2.5ghz processors suddenly drop to $100, then I'll just work around it.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116224

RAM. I KNOW they're cheap, but how many times do I have to say $100 budget. That's IT! If I could get both a card AND a 512mb stick of RAM for $115 it would still be too much. I can only save a little each payday because I'm not rich and don't have a rich benefactor like some people.

http://www.microcent...oduct_id=209889 (note rebate)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130270

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I certainly dont have a rich benefactor, took me 3 years to save enough for my computer even then it wasnt as much as i like, took just as long of begging to get a loan of the credit card. What im saying is if you shop around IT IS POSSIBLE to get both for $100 or less.

Advertisements

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello.

To stettybet0: Thanks for the heads-up, but I don't buy on-line. I appreciate the links though, more info is always welcome.

To warriorscot: Sorry if I offended. I'm just frustrated by everyone who thinks I can just get whatever I want. I've always had low-end stuff because I can't afford better. Upgrading is a slow, excruciating , and self-concious process for me.

I wish all of you would just trust me when I say my local shop here will do their best by me. I've spent probably $900-$1,000 there in the last 9 or 10 years on everything from CDs to hardware components to a re-built monitor. My friend, most of all, knows what will happen if they fleece me. I'm perfectly happy to support a local business by paying a slight mark-up. They're WAY cheaper than the chain-stores, just not quite as cheap as buying on-line.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try and haggle, whenever i need anything quick i need the shop so sometimes you can get the price down and especially if you are a steady customer they can give suprising markdowns or let you away with something cheap or throw in something else for free.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello warriorscot.

Could you help me get an answer just one question, please?

Which of all the cards for $100 or less is the best?

All of you here have shown me several cards for less than my limit, and I think a few were 256mb. Does this mean they're twice as fast as the 128mb? Doesn't that make them better?

In YOUR honest opinion, which one will give me the most performance improvement for the best price?

I can order any card you recommend from my shop.

Thank you.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
256 MB cards aren't always better than 128 MB cards. Read this whopping 14 page review on 3 budget cards:

http://techreport.co...us/index.x?pg=1

I read that a while ago. It's a great review of a few low budget videocards. I suggested the 7300 GS in an earlier post, but in this review they say that the Radeon X1300 Pro beats it. Read up.

And note that the Chrome S27 only has 128 MB compared to the 7300 GS and Radeon X1300 which both have 256 MB. The Chrome S27 holds up quite nicely.

They even test Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which is one of the most demanding games out right now.

All 3 cards are under $100 :whistling:

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just a question because if this is correct info, you may be able to get online merchandise.

Does PayPal allow users to send in money via like...an envelope? Or is it checks/cards adding to the value of your account only? If you CAN send cash to PayPal for your account, does Newegg accept PayPal (or any good online stores [TigerDirect, Buy.com, Newegg, etc.])?

My best advice even though this has probably been said is go to the stores you have access to, see what there selection is, maybe write down the ones you think are best, tell us, and then we can give you the low down on each one.

EDIT: Right after submitting this I remembered once that my friend didn't have a card so he had me buy it online for him, but he paid me in cash. So I deposited that and it's like he bought it. If you have a friend that can do this...that would make things a lot easier :whistling:

Edited by BlackPandemic, 30 May 2006 - 07:56 AM.