Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shell32.dll and msgina.dll

• Please log in to reply

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi all at GeekstoGo.com, the first place i go with my comp problems!

I have a Windows 2000 PC with SP4 installed. I ran a windows update, as i do when it says they are avaiable. Once i restarted (update requested it) i recieved two errors:

1. MSTask.exe-entry point not found. The procedure entry point FindExecutableW could not be located in the dynamic link libary SHELL32.dll.

2. User interface failure. The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.

I atempeted to use my windows 2000 cd to repair the problem with no luck (I may be doing something wrong, i have more knowledge of win98se)

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Stalker Jay

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you attempted a repair....how?

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i went to the repair option and selected repair all, it scanned my drive and found a file to read from and restarted but the errors were still there

Stalker Jay

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, I do not know what you mean by that...was this a repair option in the start menu, or did you boot with a windows cd, and enter R to run a repair?

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The latter is correct i booted my pc with the windows cd and selected r for repair

Stalker Jay

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Maybe the repair option on the Windows disk will work and I'm just doing it wrong. If someone could walk me through it that would help.

Stalker Jay

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the process is identical to the xp one

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

if you did not do that, then do this first

start > run
sfc /scannow
<enter>

Have your windows cd ready

also, if you did do the repair above, did you reapply the service packs ?

(only #4, as they are cumulative)

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I was running the repair console rather than setting up the existing windows. i'll try that first thing Monday if not sooner. Thanks a bunch!!!

Stalker Jay

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well I got a little too excited and thought the reinstall of windows was working as you stated in your last post/tutorial. It went through and deleted folders and began coping the new ones back in when a window popped up:

Digital Signature Not Found-

The Microsoft digital siginature affirms that the software has not been altered since it was last tested.

The software you are about to install does not contain a Microsoft digital siginature. Therefore, there is no guarantee that the software works with Windows.

AC'97 Friver for Intel® 82801AA Controller

Then it went on to say i could visit windows update to see if there was a digigitally signed version of the software and wanted to know if i wanted to continue installation, this would not be a problem but as soon as the window popped up i lost mouse and keyboard controll so i can't click or tab to yes. HELP!

Stalker Jay

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
rerun the install, but before you do, drop into your PCs BIOS and set the audio controller to disabled.

Advertisements

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That worked! Thanks! But there was another problem that normaly wouldn't be one. it asked to verify my regonal settings and keyboard settings. They were fine as set but again i didn't have mouse or keyboard control to click or tab to yes. is there something else i can disable in bios?

Thanks again for all your help
Stalker Jay

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are these usb mice and keyboards? Is there are setting for legacy usb keyboard and mouse in bios?

(p.m.--dude, your avatar is creeping me out)

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
yes they are usb i don't have ps2 on this pc, i'll check for the usb setting in bios.

sorry bout the avatar i work in radio and everyone says i talk to much so i tried to make it look like i was talking (i didn't have much animation experiance when i did it)

Stalker Jay

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
its still creeping me, man

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
couldn't find a setting for legacy usb, looking in the wrong place? the bios doesn't seam that compiclated. any other ideas?

Stalker Jay