Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus A8N32-SLi + 4gig of mem = 2gig available?

• Please log in to reply

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi currently using:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ ( ADA4800CDBOX )
with Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939)
and 4x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2 (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K)
running windows xp pro
when i look in the bios it states 4096mb memory found useable 2096 when entering windows whether winxp pro 32 / 64 it only says 2048 memory.

I have updated all drivers/bios to the latest but still in bios it only shows "useable 2048" anyone have any idea why?

usually i allways manage to find solutions to my problems but this have me defeated simply cannot find an explanation for it booted m/c with 2x 1gb and that worked fine (useable/found 2048mb) and 1 gb is also fine.

tried swapping the memory back and forth (tried all possible configurations of the memory/dimm sockets with 1stick its ok 2 sticks its ok 4 sticks it simply will not let me use the last 2 gb)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you checked the manual some arent capable of taking 4 1 gb sticks of memory.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Some motherboards can only take up to a certain amount of RAM. In my old Dell it could only take up to 512 (*vomits*).

My new computer however can take up to 4 gigs. So check the manual for the computer/mobo and it will be in there somewhere. If the maximum is 2 gig (which it's sounding like) then you've wasted money on an extra 2 gigs :whistling:

surfer99

surfer99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks all.
no it should deffinately support 4x1gb mem as per specification sheet from asus:
Asus Spec spread sheet
also OCZ is on the approved "Quality Vendor List" (checked it with the hardcopy).

in honesty it drives me nuts think i will have to open a case with asus for this.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You ,ight have to go into Bios and disable dual channel im fairly sure dual channel wont work with all the slots maxed out like that.