Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS loses power - faulty battery?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, one of my computers has recently been experiening problems with the CMOS. I think it is losing power when the computer is off.
After it has been off overnight and I turn it on, I get 3 quick beeps from the motherboard, and a message saying that the CMOS has been reset - I have 2 options, to configure the settings again (F1), or to continue with the defaults (F2), and the system clock loses time as well. Does this mean that the battery is dying? If so, where can I get new CMOS batteries? The motherboard is only about a year old (ASRock).

Thanks

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

It is most likely that your CMOS battery has faded away and now your BIOS settings have been lost. The BIOS settings will keep resetting every time power is lost or the computer is unplugged because there is no way to save the information (which is done with the aid of a CMOS battery).

HERE is a webshop that sells CMOS batteries. There are other stores that sell them, this is just one google came up with.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The CMOS battery tends to be a common battery, most stores carry them in the camera dept or other location for small batteries.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Ok, thanks people!