Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer turning itself on!

• Please log in to reply

emmylou

emmylou

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's a good one....normally people have problems with computers randomly restarting or shutting down.... well mine turns itself on!! It first started when I unplugged a scanner from a usb port and as soon as I unplugged it, the computer started itself up! Now it turns itself on even if someone walks past it and knocks the computer desk! It's gettin rather annoyin now so anyone got any ideas of why its doing this? :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Faulty or partly jammed power button I reckon, if this is the case it wouldn't take much vibration from somewhere to complete the circuit and power on the PC.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You might also check the power options in the setup to see if it is set to power on under various conditions (such as network activity, etc.). I doubt that would be the case, but it is something to check, just to make sure that it is not the serial line or anything like that.

Another thing to try is to disconnect the power button and see if it still turns itself on.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
OK, I'm new to this site, but have over 25 years experience as an electrician not computer repair. Anyway if it's most likely an ATX motherboard the power switch is a momentary switch. Requiring only a flash contact to activate your power supply. I recently had a short to ground in my on/off switch which caused it to immediatly die after turning on, in your case it sounds like a short between input and output. If you unplug the power switch from the motherboard at the two little rows of prongs where the wires from the front plug onto the board (should say "pwr sw" at those two wires and on their lead) usually black and red or white and red, then with a small flat blade screwdriver touch those two prongs of the MOBO at the same time for an instant and it will turn on, touch them both again and it will turn off. With the wires unplugged tap on the computer and see if it starts. If it does, reply again and we will get into your power supply. If it doesn't it is the switch. Also in BIOS > Power settings > Power On Methods, make sure that auto start for modem/LAN activity is disabled and auto restart after power loss is disabled. Hope I can help without offending you long time members, let me know if I'm out of line.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

... Now it turns itself on even if someone walks past it and knocks the computer desk! ...

Sounds to me like the PC is just waking up from what it senses as keyboard/mouse activity after hitting the PC desk. May try disabling this function (screensaver???) to see if it is or not. Kemasa had other good options you could check and disable.

If, with everything disabled to wake PC on activity (jarring enough counts), then you may want to look else where. But you need to let us know what steps you have taken.

Ron

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
crunch, that was a very good explaination of how to disconnect the power, thanks.

Major Payne, thanks for being more specific since I intended to say to check all of the power on options.

The power on options is the first thing to check, then try disconnecting the power switch.