Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

such a slow start-up

• Please log in to reply

adjustment

adjustment

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have been trying to clean out my computer for a couple weeks. I thought I took care of everything but it still has an extremely slow start-up (several minutes). When I run AdAware, it stops when it hits a certain CLSID file. When I run Spybot, it says there is nothing there. I tried to delete AdAware and re-download it but it still freezes at the same file. I ran Tune Up Utilities and it cleaned the files that it found and also the registry cleaner. I also ran CWShredder and Ewido but they didn't find anything. I have AVG for viruses but it doesn't find anything either. I posted a HijackThis log earlier today but I didn't get a response and assuming it, too, didn't find anything. I have noticed some problems with my iTunes and Picasa programs and when they are open, things tend to get a lot slower and neither run properly. I deleted iTunes and downloaded it again but that didn't help. I am just looking for help to cure these final ailments. Anything would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....
click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..unckeck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...
then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

next get diskeeper lite

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=1207

defragging does not hurt your computer...you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows
after doing this play for awhile and let us know how it feels.. :whistling:

adjustment

adjustment

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey, thanks so much!

One problem though, it seems to get stuck on some Temporary Internet Files. I thought all of these should have been deleted. Is there a way to get rid of these? I look in the folder and it is empty? Should I be concerned of this?

Oh, and should I be concerned that AdAware won't run through completely?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools internet options, click advanced, tick do not save encrypted pages to disc and also empty the temporary internet files folder when the browser is closed, click apply, close the browser

Uninstall Ad-Aware SE then run tune up reg clean up and reg defrag

Download and install Ad-Aware SE and remove the ticks for read me, update and run, close the installer, start Ad-Aware, run it without updating, if it completes the scan, update it and run, if it doesn't complete the scan you will be better waiting for an answer from the Malware Team

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also use ccleaner to clean out all those useless files...get it here

http://www.ccleaner.com/