Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RECOVERING HARD DRIVE DATA

• Please log in to reply

Supermex48

Supermex48

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello! I have a Toshiba Laptop A-35 159 and the hard drive finally gave out and failed. They said a lot of the data is recoverable, so I bought the hard drive case and everything and have it hooked up to my computer. I can open the hard drive and see the folders I still have available, but my account, because it was password protected, is not accessible and data is not transferrable. I need all my documents, music, etc. off that old hard drive account onto my new one. How do I get into my old folder because I don't know how to log on to the account off my old, external hard drive.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Supermex48,

I can see no one is rushing to answer this one, and I won't be able to provide a solution. But maybe I can ask you some of the right questions.

You say you can't get into the "account". I think you mean you know your password but have no option to enter it, right?

The "account" was in Windows (if that is the operating system you're using)? Providing a few more facts about your system might help staff tackle this baby. Also if it was an OS based password protection you might find some answers in the OS forum from geeks more into that side of things?

You might also be able to copy the data with a data recovery application like Get Data Back, though I'm not sure how it deals with encrypted files. If they are encrypted without the password, that is.

You can download a demo that lets you at least see the files, but need the full version to retrieve stuff.

hope this helps a little

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to take ownership of the files http://support.micro...spx?kbid=308421 in order to use them, there are otherways to get round it but thats probably the easiest.

Supermex48

Supermex48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes basically, it denies me access to the files off my older user folder in the corrupted hard drive. I have no way of entering the password or logging in under that username to access and transfer those files. I'm using Windows XP home and the old hard drive had the same software.

I also tried taking ownership of them, but that doesn't work. Because I don't have admin powers over those user accounts for some reason (even when booting up as administrator in SAFE MODE) I can't even open the "username" folder to search for a certificate.

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,
gotta make this short on break at work but this might work
Make a shortcut on your desktop to the folder you need access too
right click on the shortcut
choose properties
click advanced
check "run with different credentials"
enter logon/pw from last computer (if possible dont know if it is but it was the only thing i could think off.

Good luck