Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 95 Help!

• Please log in to reply

BlueBettaLady

BlueBettaLady

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was given a Gateway 2000 P66 W\24 meg of ram. AMBIOS BIOS...

Ok I have serious issues with this machine and maybe someone can help here....

First of all I cannot access the system tab thru any means. I have tried right clicking my computer, I have tried pause\break+windows key and the obvious thru control panel. The computer has a partition with the cabs and everything I need to reformat.....BUT I cannot do anything without the OEM key. I am NOT asking for one....Just perhaps if someone knows another location ( I looked in the reg and couldnt find it but I am so 95 stupid anymore)

Second, I can get into the add remove programs but not where you can modify the windows features themselves. Suggestions?

Third, the CD and software is too old to recognize any burned CD...IF I repace the ROM drive and update the software, should it see a burned CD? Again, nothing illegal...I keep my freeware stuff (like winzip) on a single CD for my convience.

Oh yes, and I am missing a SKNMAINT.dll file so I can only run scandisk from dos....Any suggestions where to look for this DLL?
Thanks all

Edited by BlueBettaLady, 24 May 2006 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It is possible to recover the product key through the registry in Windows 95 but I cannot be sure as and where it's located, assuming Windows hasn't lost it at some point in the past.

Add/Remove programs - IIRC there's a separate tab for this, but I assume its that you can't get into?

Blank media - this is more likely to be a Windows issue because Win95 came out at a time when the art of writing to CDs so was so ludricously expensive nobody bothered, therefore the CD units around at the time didnt' support multi-session CDs or just can't talk to media that isn't "proper". Therefore IIRC there is no support for it in Windows 95. Plus Winzip doesn't run on Windows 95 unless its a very old version.

In all honesty this machine is not worth spending any money on at all. Plus it sounds like its got some serious Windows issues with it which need sorting (preferably wiping the machine) before one can move onto hardware issues.

And SKNMAINT.dll throws up no results in a search engine whatsoever, so its anybody's guess as to where that's come from as it isn't a standard Windows file.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 May 2006 - 04:32 PM.

BlueBettaLady

BlueBettaLady

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The machine was given to me..I don't have any other machine to use for school ( I am back in College at 37). So I have to make this thing work.

I tried today to put a different CD in it (a newer one) with no success. Now I get a windows protection error. Reboot and safe mode.

As for the separate tab to access the system...I know...I canot get the Windows add remove or the system tab at all.....GRRRRR

aussie39

aussie39

• Pip
  • 4 posts
About the scandisk thing do you have start up disk for win 98

if not you can normally download one off the web