Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Waste Now Necessity Later?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
After watching some footage I can see that it does make a difference (even if a small one) in some of the "enhanced games." Right now, for $300 I'd rather buy a good video card, and maybe some RAM, but not a card that makes my physics pretty.

Earlier, WarriorScot mentioned that nVidia and ATI are working on incorperating either the actual Ageia engine or their own spoofs of it, in future (DX10) cards. I was just wondering if there was any truth to this?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ATI are working with Havoc on there own physics technology and have been at it long before Agiea came on the scene so its not a spoof, Nvidia i dont think are working with a 3rd party i think its in house with them. The difference is tiny even in games that do support it, GRAW for example is the normal game with most physx in it and the difference is minimal in fact its sometimes overdone and makes it looks less realistic or distracting.

Also the cards themselves arent anything specail worth that much money they are quite simlar in design to 6600 gfx cards. The technology is in the software and THAT doesnt need an add on card to work they have just restricted it that way, its quite possible to modify the software to use a second cpu core and system memory to the same effect.

Its a waste, it wont be needed until the big hitters release there versions an more than a handful of game developers adopt it, and even then they wont do that for Agiea they simpley dont have enough money and technology to compete with ATI/Havoc or Nvidia. For what you get on current games more realism would be gained from a better gfx card than physx,

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Thanks a lot Warrior, that's just what I wanted to hear :whistling: :blink: