Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU problem or more?

• Please log in to reply

icculus05

icculus05

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
The other day while I was out of town I was told my computer locked up and would not turn off. Eventually the power cord was pulled from the wall. When plugged back in the system didnt start, no noise, leds, or fans, just silence.

So, today after checking connections I replaced the psu with a new one. however, I'm still having the same issue. Is it possible that the power switch on the front is bad? I tried switching the reset switch into the power switch spot and still no luck.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just some background:
-Who told you it locked up/what were they trying to do (like what was running when it locked up)?
-Did the plug get pulled with the compy on?

Each power switch has a designated slot, if it's not in the right spot it won't do anything, so switching the two won't accomplish anything. Make sure that the power switch is in fact in the correct pin config. (usually can be checked in the mobo manual).

icculus05

icculus05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Im not sure what they were doing. Most likely internet/email type stuff. Yes, the computer was completely locked up and turned on when they pulled the plug.

I just tested the switch with a multimeter and it appears to be working fine. So, it seems that the problem might be the motherboard or something attached to it. Open to any other ideas or tips.

Thanks again for the help

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Im not sure what they were doing. Most likely internet/email type stuff. Yes, the computer was completely locked up and turned on when they pulled the plug.

*screams in despair*

First thing on your agenda should be to tell whoever did that to never ever do that again. It's like throwing a plugged in hair dryer into the tub you're sitting it :blink:

Worst case scenario, something got fried (somehow). I don't really want to offer much more because if I'm wrong I don't want you breaking your compy more :whistling:

Edited by BlackPandemic, 25 May 2006 - 08:51 AM.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it is most likely the cpu or the motherboard. I won't know for sure unless i personally see it. Did you test the power supplies with the multimeter.