Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Mat778

Mat778

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I hate Dl-524 wireless router and a wireless card that is supposed to work with it. I've installed everything right, the router and the computer with the wireless card aren't far apart, but it doesnt always pick up the singnal, and when it does the strenght is very low. and whnever i move the comptuer with the wireless card the connection gets lost. This is bothering me because it used to work fine(singnal strenght was always high and such) until I had to reboot all my computer and I also reset my wireless router. My internet connection type is DSL, can anyone help me with this, I've been trying to fix it forever.

Advertisements

Mat778

Mat778

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
sorry, i meant "I HAVE a dl-524" not I hate...

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Download Tune up utilities 2006 trial. Open the program, go to Optimize & Improve>TuneUp System Optimizer>Internet Optimization. Let the program optimize your internet connection.

If that doesn't do the trick, get back to this topic and I'll see what else I can do.

Mat778

Mat778

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
alright, thanks for helping me out here. I did what you said but it didnt work. This is odd. The computer with the wireless card picks up 2 or 3 sources. (i can choose between different channels or whatever) and they both have a different signal strenght and I'm not sure if I made them (one of the is called default and the other is called "home") about an hour ago i made a new one called "MAIN ROUTER" just so that i would know for sure that its my router and no one elses. the computer picked that one up and the internet worked (But the signal strenght was still low... 20%, but before i reset my router it used to be 70-80%) as soon as i moved my computer about 4 inches, the connection was lost (the one i called MAIN ROUTER) and now it doesnt pick it up at all anymore. It still picks up the two other sources but the internet doesn't work with either one of those.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Are there any yellow !'s in your device manager?

Edited by emery, 25 May 2006 - 08:12 AM.

Mat778

Mat778

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
K, I did that but when I restarted my computer nothing showed up, (I don't know if this is because I'm using Win2000) but anyways the computer reads the card (I went in add/remove hardware and it was there, saying it was working properly)... I have the cd for the drive, it came with the card, but even then, I actually installed the driver today and the problems are still the same.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Sorry for the edit I just made in my post.

Install all the drivers you have for the card and reboot.

Do any yellow !'s show up in device manager now?

Mat778

Mat778

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I reinstalled all the drivers, and no there are not yellow !'s.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
connect to your router with an ethernet cable and get to the router's config page (put the ip address into your webbrowser)....rename the network to something obvious (i know you said you made somenthing main router...but you didn't say where you did that...if you did this on the router then never mind)

Mat778

Mat778

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah I had made it on the router, the computer in using now is connected directly to the router. i have another one with the card