Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

netgear router firmware upgrade - problems

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
hello

in well under an hour i had my wirelss network setup perfectly with mac address filtering, WPA security and evrything working perfectly.

my dads laptop connected fine via his wi-fi.

i even fitted my PC (which is wired to the router) with a wireless PCI card so that i could move the PC away from the cable modem.

i could connect via the PCI card to the router. I would disable the wired connection and my wireless one would take over and internet would work fine.

then i upgraded the firmware.

if not familiar with netgears router administartion page - once you make any changes its says "updating settings". anyway after the new firmware had been installed this had been on the screen for ages and ages so i closed the window.

after the upgrade i found i couldn't access the internet. yellow hazard symbol appeared "limited or no connectivity".

so i turned off the pc, router and modem.

then i turned on the modem, waited. tuned on the router, waited. Turned on the PC.

internet connection was back.

i then tried entering the administration page (routerlogin.net) but it wasn't found.

so i typed in the gateway code i got from using ipconfig with cmd

that worked and then i found i could use routerlogin.net for some reason....??

i then tried connecting wirelessly with my PCI card. i connect and evrything seems fine. I then disabled my ethernet connection. i could not access the internet wirelessly.

so i enabled my ethernet connection. no internet still!! even though i'm now wired to the router!!
so i disabled m wireless connection and internet comes back.

conclusion: my wired internet does not work if my PCI wireless card is connected??

any ideas why
if not any ideas how to go back to previous firmware versions

i would love to be able to see if my dads laptop could use the internet wirelessly but since he's at work i'll
have to wait...

EDIT -> can't connect to the nwtork at all now. no yellow marks in device manager. its all installed properly as it worked yesterday.

thanks
makihara

Edited by makihara, 25 May 2006 - 08:43 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
see if you can reset the router back to factory defaults (there's usually a method for that in the manual)...then try to reconfigure everything....i don't know that resetting to factory will revert the firmware or not...if it does...try updating the firmware BEFORE setting up the router..

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok i downloaded and installed th original firmware

still the key problem is:

wired ethernet only enabled = access to internet and routerlogin.net

both wired ethernet and wireless connection enabled= no internet and no access to routerlogin.net

why would the existence of a wireless connection to the router upset the wired conenction to the PC. i don't understand.

the weird thing is that when i disable the wireless PCI card, i go onto the routerlogin and it claims that the wireless PCI card is attached under "attached devices"??

if still no one has a clue then i'll reset the factory settings and start again.

cheers
makihara

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

why would the existence of a wireless connection to the router upset the wired conenction to the PC. i don't understand.

...well...i could see where this would indeed cause an issue (in the world of logic it shouldn't but i see why it does)....you're connecting the same computer to the same device with two different connections...therefore you rwireless card and ethernet card are getting an ip within the same range...so the traffic doesn't know which card to go to...NOW alternately...if you had your ethernet plugged into your router...but had the wireless connected to ANOTHER router then it would in theory work (it works that way here at work as my wireless router has a different ip scheme than the wired connection)...since your typical plan is not to have them both connected at the same time...let's test...

with your wireless card disabled connect to the router wired...and browse the internet...does it work?
unplug the ethernet cable and turn on your wireless card...connect to your wireless router with it....can y ou search the net now? work ok?

any issues during any of this whole ordeal with the other compute that's connected?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
also another thought...you said you enabled mac address filtering....did you turn that back on?...because the wireless connection has a different MAC than the ethernet card...

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

with your wireless card disabled connect to the router wired...and browse the internet...does it work?

yep

unplug the ethernet cable and turn on your wireless card...connect to your wireless router with it....can y ou search the net now? work ok?

nope

any issues during any of this whole ordeal with the other compute that's connected?

the only other machine is a laptop which is at work with my dad so i can't test that

thanks
james

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

nope

ok....let's dig a little deeper into that nope...
can you connect to the wireless network?

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
sorry that was lazy of me

i can aquire a network address and appear connected under "view available networks".

as soon as i go to google or any web site i get "this page cannot be found"

i sometimes get "limited or no connectivity" sign and then an excellent connection again. but i've yet to have an internet connection since yesterday despite pakets being sent and recieved under the status window.

EDIT -> this post relates entirely to wireless connection

Edited by makihara, 25 May 2006 - 09:47 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok do me a favor...disable the wireless and hook up with ethernet
do start > run > ipconfig /all
then post the results (in this thread) with a heading of "WIRED"

then

re-enable the wireless and disable the LAN connection (right click my network places and choose properties then right click on your LAN connection and choose disable) connect to the wireless network and

do start > run > ipconfig /all
then post the results (in this thread) with a heading of "WIRELESS"

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
WIRED

hope its ok as just a screen dump
wired2.jpg

WIRELESS

another screen dump
wireless.jpg

...and disable the LAN connection (right click my network places and choose properties then right click on your LAN connection and choose disable)....

i'm not sure what you meant by right clicking network places. i just disabled my local area connection in network connections by right clicking and press disable. is this the same thing??

thanks
james

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it is indeed the same....and...those numbers look correct...hmmm....

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
got my dads laptop home and we connected to the internet fine via wi-fi

maybe that narros down the problem

i read somewhere about "bridging the connection"

any ideas

thanks
makihara

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...shouldn't be needed...as you're only wanting one connection to be active at a time...so your dad's LT connects fine and surfs the web wirelessly....your computer will connect fine and surf as long as it's wired...but wireless won't work..right?

uninstall the wireless card by right clicking my computer > manage > device manager > find the card > right click and choose uninstall > now restart the computer...windows should detect it and reinstall it (it may ask you for the drivers disk)...now...once that's installed...try doing the wireless again (DON"T PLUG IN THE ETHERNET CABLE...in fact unplug it till you're done trying all of this stuff)

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
connected again but still no internet connection

i forgot to mention that the last two times i restarted i got a non responsive program - wlancfg.exe netgears utility for something. maybe a clue to the problem??

also, i don't know if you have ever had a netgear device but their are 2 options....windows auto configuration (use windows to configure my wireless netwok settings) or with a netgear utility. with both i had no internet configuration anyway. thought i was onto something there.

ive turned windows auto configuration on now anyway.

thanks
makihara

EDIT

so your dad's LT connects fine and surfs the web wirelessly....your computer will connect fine and surf as long as it's wired...but wireless won't work..right?

yep...and wired won't work if wireless pci card is connected

EDIT2 - possibly interesting

i put the wired ethernet in my PC and the internet started working even with wireless on.
so i disabled wired and tried wireless again but it didn't work.
so i enabled wired again and i got "little or no connectivity"
had to restart my pc again to get wired to work

also possibly interesting

that wlancfg.exe program is netgears equivalent of windows auto configuration

after reinstalling the pci card (with no wired in) this program ran fine and i could log onto networks etc. (no interne activity though as i said already)

now with wired setup this wlancfg rogram will not run. well the process runs under processes in task manager but not as an application??

so now i can't connect with wireless (as the wlancfg program is needed) unless i set windows auto configuration.

EDIT3

found something interesting. i tried to get a p2p program and torrent program working. so i set some static ip addresses and the correct port forwarding for wired portion.

even though the internet doesn't work when wireless and wired are enabled, the p2p program and utorrent program works perfectly.

so i editied the port forwarding to work for the wireless static but then the p2p didn't work (or the internet as expected)...

any clues how the p2p and torrent can work but not internet access when both wired and wireless are enabled??

Edited by makihara, 25 May 2006 - 04:47 PM.

gou245

gou245

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i also had a similar problem. wasted almost a day to solve it. then spent around an hour with Netgear support. :) What the support mentioned at last is to change the product since it is still under warranty..