Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost XP user accounts

• Please log in to reply

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Greetings- I was referred here by another forum I post on.

I was setting up a new user account and my main admin account seemed to have been assumed by another. I can't get to it other than safe mode. Is there a way to bring it back? System restore doesn't work for some reason even is safemode.

Feel free to ask me any specifics.

THANKS!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i do not understand what you mean assumed by another?

What version of XP, home or retail

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

i do not understand what you mean assumed by another?

What version of XP, home or retail

thanks.

I have XP Pro 2002 SP2

It seems that my original user account was deleted from anything other than safe mode. The new account I set up took all of the properties of the original ie. all files have the new account name as owner, even the owner of Outlook changed. I had to really tramp through the hard drive to get the files since they were no longer associated with anything familiar. Is there a way to get the original user info out of safe mode and remove the unwanted accounts? Sorry if I am confusing this. I think it was just a case of me not choosing a correct action and making a totally new administrator account that passworded everything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am still not getting you

open MY COMPUTER and navigate to

c:\windows\documents and settings

what do you see in there?

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I am still not getting you

open MY COMPUTER and navigate to

c:\windows\documents and settings

what do you see in there?

5 folders- Administrator, Guest, All Users, the folder for the account I was trying to add, and default user. My original user account is not listed there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, but you say you can get to the old account in safe mode????

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

ok, but you say you can get to the old account in safe mode????

yup. I was able to export my important Outlook info by saving to the hard drive then importing. I figured that there has to be a way to "revive" the old account from safe mode- I'm usually wrong though :whistling: It was quite a hassle.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
but how can you get to the old account if the folder that holds it is not there?

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The old account is only available in safe mode. That one and the main administrator account that I use now.
I copied/saved to the Hard Disk under the administrator files from safe mode then restarted and opened those files to transfer the info. There is no sign of that account anywhere other than safe mode. That's what has me baffled.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I must just be dumb...I am having a horrible time visualizing your issue

The folders within c:\documents and settings

should correspond to a profile

ADMINISTRATOR, is of course the built in administrator account

All USERS is used by all users on a PC as the name implies (want a shortcut for everyone, drop it in the

ALL USERS desktop folder)

DEFAULT USER is the template for new users when they are created

{user profile name} are the individual profles of each user added

GUEST is the guest account, of course. Many people disable the guest account and do not have that folder

You say you can access the old account, but what exactly are you accessing? What folder group did you drag files out of?

When you say MAIN ADMIN account, what are you referring to?

Let's back up for a second.

Unless you elect to show the administrator account on the User Account selection window, it will not show except in safe mode. Is that what you mean? It should never have shown, unless you edited the registry to allow it. And it would only disappear if you re-edited the registry, or experienced a registry corruption

To show the admin account on the welcome screen, download the following, extract, double click, and say yes to merging with the registry

Attached Files

Advertisements

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
that worked, now the users displayed are the now one and the old one that I thought was lost.

As for maintenance- can I remove the one I don't want with out problems? Or should I keep it and disable it to avoid further confusion and pestering by me.

gerryf ROCKS :whistling: :blink:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh good, sometimes I am just thick when it comes to getting what people are asking. Sorry

Yes, you can remove it

Use USERS in control panel

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
all is right with the laptop now. I'm a bit timid about removing the now unwanted account. I'll think on it. :blink:

:whistling:

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I attempted to delete the unwanted account but the option to delete is not there. I went through the control panel to users. I can change the attributes etc but no option to delete.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you click the account, there is no DELETE function? (you have to be in a different account, go to users, double click the icon for the account you wish to delete and the last entry should be delete)