Thanks for the more extensive responce but none of that would have helped.
After searching the net for three or four days I finally ran into an answer that solved the issue and the funny thing is that this just happened only 30 minutes ago.
After searching countless message forums, help desk, tech forums etc.. and after several phone calls I was really starting to get a bit worried. Usually these sort of problems I can tackle and handle.
All of my searching on the problem came back with very similar results. Many people it seems are having this issue, but no real solution has been found for most of the people asking. Finally just when I was ready to stop searching and was getting ready to just have him spend the cash and upgrade to a newer version of Office Pro I ran across a thread on Google Groups where another person was having a very similar problem. He too didnt get any usefull help with the issue so he kept trying different things. Turning off third party add ons, re configuring the options, and nothing was working, untill he disabled Net Folders.
That turned the lightbulb on in my head because the boss had been trying to set up his Outlook Calender in Net Folders and share it with his secertary. So In the three minute window I had to use Outlook I went in and disabled the shareing of his calender and Outlook hasnt stopped running yet (let me check it one more time before I say that for sure), yup still running.
So it appears that his net folders are not configured correctly, and that was causing the issue in Outlook. Had he upgraded to XP or a newer version of Office it prob would have done the same thing.
But again thanks for your time. Hope this info may help others in the future who might have a similar problem.