Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need lots of help - Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a big problem with Office 2003 SP2. First of all the speach recognition engine version 6.1 failed. So I decided the best thing to was to repair Office. However when I tried this I get an error that "the installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it". On looking throught the KB I tried using the Windows Install Clean Up. However on using this and trying to re-install Office, I get the error that it has failed to install - which leaves me unable to use Office - therefore having to do a system restore. Which leaves me with the same problem. Please can somebody restore my faith in MS and help me fix my £378 copy of Office.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Edited by Jim Bell, 25 May 2006 - 11:44 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you try to do the detect and repair....do you have the office cd in the computer?

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It wont let me detect and repair. It says that the installation source for this product is unavailable. yes, the CD is in the drive

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried completely uninstalling office and reinstalling?

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It wont let me uninstall - get the same message that the installation soure for this product is unavailable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you put the office cd in the drive does it auto run?

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah a folder on the CD pops up, so it autoruns. The CD is definatly detected by the computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...s this the original office cd?

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah - its the original disk, the same one I used to install office on my computer when it was new

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you insert an office cd...it should be autorunning the setup app......it's odd that it doesn't.... put the cd in and open it...then run the setup program from there....does that start up? if so does it give you the optioni to repair or remove?

Advertisements

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I try to launch the setup app from the CD - I still get the same message/ error

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It happens if you have standalone Office programmes installed, in which case, their advice is to uninstall the standalone Office programmes, install Office, re-install the standalone ones

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
However, I do not have standalone Office programs - I cant repair, uninstall, reinstall over the top of or anything without getting the same message/ error

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What Office folders have you got in programme files

Jim Bell

Jim Bell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just Microsoft Office and then the subfolders in that are: