Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HAVE DUAL XEON PROCESSOR MOTHERBOARD

• Please log in to reply

wallstreet3@ameritech.net

wallstreet3@ameritech.net

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I BUILT A COMPUTER W/ AN ASUS MOTHERBOARD PC-DL DELUXE 875R P W/2 XEON PROCESSORS 2.4 GHZ

WHEN I GO TO CONTROL PANEL AND CHECK HARDWARE I SEE 4 XEON PROCESSORS, MY QUESTION IS WHY IT SHOWS FOUR WHEN THE MOTHERBOARD HAS ONLY TWO.
CAN THIS SLOW DOWN MY COMPUTER?
IS THERE ANY LOGIC EXPLANATION FOR THIS?
HOW CAN i CORRECT THIS?
PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
It shows 4 processors because the two xeon processors you have have hyper threading technology whick makes the operating system think it has 4 processors instead of two

jk_1985

jk_1985

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not to be rude or anything but...

If you're building a dual Xeon comp, then shouldn't you know something about computer technology? Especially something as well known as Hyper Threading.

Well HT, isn't something that needs correcting. Like for single CPU systems, HT makes it run like a dual CPU system, but on a dual CPU system with HT, it'll be like a quad CPU system.

If you're doing multi-tasking stuff alot, then having HT on will be faster. If you check out the task manager, you'll see that when you run stuff with HT on, the CPU usage that is used per application will be a max of 25%. If you have HT off, then the max will be 50%. If you run 2 things that are high on CPU usage, with HT off, then you try doing other things, it'll lag like crazy because your CPU usage is at 100%. If you have HT on, then when you try to do other things, it won't lag at all because your CPU usage will only be at 50%.

If you want to turn it off, then you can do so in your CMOS settings.