Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Win XP - User Accounts

• Please log in to reply

arisya

arisya

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there!

A very good day to the person who will be assisting me on this problem I'm currently facing :blink:

1. When I login my laptop as a different user account (Admin1 for example) which has the computer administrator account type, and open the folder My Document, I seem to be getting this error message 'Runtime Error!
Program C:\WINDOWS\Explorere.EXE
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information'

This also happens when I try to open 'My Computer' and Internet Explorer.

When I first got this laptop a month ago and tested the login for diffferent user accounts, no such errors appeared. I must have screwed up something when changing my user account settings and I seriously do not know how to rectify this.

2. Not sure if this has any relation to the above issue, but I noticed that when I login as my usual user account (TinkerBelle), I do not get the above error when opening any files. Furthermore, in My Computer, I have 3 different folders created for the 3 user accounts which I've created via the Control Panel: Admin1, Guest and TinkerBelle.

However, when I look in C:\Documents and Settings, ther 3 user accounts folders are there but the TinkerBelle's folder is named as 'XYZ' (example). This used to be the original user login account setup for this PC and I recently renamed it to TinkerBelle. When I tried to rename this folder, the error message appeared, 'XYZ is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed'

In a nutshell, I would like to rename this 'XYZ' folder or else to have all its contents moved to TinkerBelle's folder and have this folder removed altogether. Please advise on how I can get this done and re-organize back my folders according to the user accounts.

Please please please help me to sort this one out and I do patiently wait for your assistant! Thank you so much in advance and hope to hear from anyone soon. :whistling: -arisya-

Advertisements

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I posted earlier on a similar issue but mine is the main user account disappeared or was asumed by another. I can only access it through safe mode and luckily could save to the hard drive to import my files etc. I never saw the error that you are getting.

arisya

arisya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ohh.. thanx for the input hockeydad04. I think this issue i'm having is maybe because i dont fully understand how Windows XP works with regards to multi-user on one pc...

Here's my finding on my pc... when i logged as User1 and run documents and internet explorer, later log off and log on as User2... that error message appears when i open My Document folder or even IE... And when i log on again as User1 and close the running programs, then log off to login as User2... only then can i open the folders and IE. It is as though User2 is unable to open any folders or IE until User1 has closed those programs...

is this normal behaviour for XP?

confused... :whistling:

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

ohh.. thanx for the input hockeydad04. I think this issue i'm having is maybe because i dont fully understand how Windows XP works with regards to multi-user on one pc...

Here's my finding on my pc... when i logged as User1 and run documents and internet explorer, later log off and log on as User2... that error message appears when i open My Document folder or even IE... And when i log on again as User1 and close the running programs, then log off to login as User2... only then can i open the folders and IE. It is as though User2 is unable to open any folders or IE until User1 has closed those programs...

is this normal behaviour for XP?

confused... :whistling:

I don't notice that as I only had/have one user until i tried to add 1 and it went to crap. I'm no expert but I see that a seperate user as Administrator should be set up (and left alone except for maintenance purposes) and all other user accounts fed from that. Each account has the acces etc that it is allowed but the stand alone admin account controls everything. Doubt this helps you though. Try to access the folder you want to delete/change through safe mode. At least you can save files etc. from there to the hard drive to add to another user account.

I'm planning on backing up my critical files and just dumping it to start fresh. :blink:

You may have a similar problem with an account having admin status but really it is not the right one and it takes over the others. I'm never adding again!!

arisya

arisya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, indeed it is very crap when i tried adding another user account. Guess i dont have much choice but to go through the long and winding road... back up the files, and try to add it to a new account with a different user name. I wish there was an easier solution... especially on updating links and folders to the new username.

You're absolutely right about the admin status.. makes no sense.. and i'm not gonna waste time on this either.

Thank you so much for your inputs :whistling:

I'm wondering why i'm not getting any response form an XP expert out there...sigh. :blink:

hockeydad04

hockeydad04

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Yes, indeed it is very crap when i tried adding another user account. Guess i dont have much choice but to go through the long and winding road... back up the files, and try to add it to a new account with a different user name. I wish there was an easier solution... especially on updating links and folders to the new username.

You're absolutely right about the admin status.. makes no sense.. and i'm not gonna waste time on this either.

Thank you so much for your inputs :whistling:

I'm wondering why i'm not getting any response form an XP expert out there...sigh. :blink:

the joy of being a newbie. Nothing better than overcoming it and hitting a senior member status. Had to do it twice on the ITB hockey forum. :help:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
One reason an expert (and that is a bit strong of a term) is that we staffers tend to look for threads with 0 replies and then follow them through....when people respond to their own threads or other users chip in, staffers do not always jump in because they think someone else is on it.

And, for what it's worth, another guest helping is not necessarily a bad thing...we all start out as guests

For now, I am not sure if there is a question here, but going back to the original post:

1: I would begin with the assumption the profile had a malware infection that was localized to that profile and not others

2. This is a peculiarity to the way Windows creates/controls/monitors profiles. Users work in very abstract terms...a user named Tom should have folders named Tom. Computers hate abstract. When you create a profile, Windows actually creates a very specific user id that has nothing to do with the name you choose and uses it to track the user and assign user rights and security. Without getting to confusing, lets say you encrypt a file with the user account TOM and then later decide to delete TOM from your computer. After the deletion, you can no longer access the encrypted file. So, you create a new TOM profile and try to un-encrypt the file, but it does not work. That is because even though both profiles are named TOM, Windows is using its own internal user ID.

So, while Windows allows you to rename a profile, it continues to track the user with the Globally Unique Identifier it keeps internally. Unfortunately, when Windows XP was designed, the changing of the folders and profile name is not complete...some folders are attached to the GUI and therefore cannot be changed.

It simply goes back to bad design decisions.