Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I'm upgrading soon to a AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and I was wondering what motherboard to get but I need one with a AGP slot. Any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AGP? your pretty much buggered then, lol i think you can get the kt800s in AGP but they arent half as good as PCI-e boards and obviously you could get a AM2 if it was PCI-e.

I would wait till you can get PCI-e AGP is a dead socket next upgrade youll need another new mobo which is a real pain, i dont know anyone who didnt regret not getting pci-e when they upgraded.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah but upgrading straight away to a PCI-E is out of my price range. If i had the money I would get a PCI-E card but atm I dont so Im just gonna get a better processor and an AGP motherboard then when I get a PCI-E card i'll get a good motherboard to go with it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What im saying thats just an expensive way to do it, your as well waiting and putting the money you have now in a savings account and then save up for the new stuff as performance boost from CPU and mobo upgrade isnt close to what you can get from a new gfx card especailly someone that plays as many games as you do. Patience is usually the best policy it works out cheaper in the long run.

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ok, Thanks for that. I will probs get the Sapphire X1600XT PCI-E when i get the money. Isn't Direct X 10 only for vista?