Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Richard John

Richard John

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
At the moment I'm running A Ubuntu/Windows 2000 dual boot. The Windows 2000 partition has become corrupted, so I've decided to put XP over it (As much as I like 2000, I'm inreasingly seeing XP only things).
I put in my XP disk, and it went through the file copying stages (the text installer). At the end, I got to the Starting Windows.... point, and got a BSOD style screen with the error:
SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

At first I thought this might be because of my uneven RAM, so I took the 128 stick out, and tried again, but got the same error.

I'm guessing this is now due to the dodgy 2000 partition?

I can delete that partition using a GParted live CD if that's what'll fix it, but I want to check this is the problem before messing with the partitions!

Any help appreciated,
Richard John

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
preliminary research is pointing to a bad cdrom or a bad hd...
http://www.techimo.c...um/t135371.html

http://msdn.microsof...2kmsgs/1216.asp <---Ms explanation of the stop error
http://support.micro...kb/153742/en-us <---a different explanation

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Deleted the partition - no luck,
Tried a different CD-Drive - no luck :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...does linux have some form of disk checking utility (like chkdsk in windows?)

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If it does, I can't seem to find it.

edit: do you think it's possible my XP disk is corrupt?

Is there an integrity check?

If it is corrupt (I can't phone the manufacturer, they went bust last year), is it fair use to download an xp disk and use my serial?

Edited by Richard John, 25 May 2006 - 03:23 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
question...what would be the problem with formatting the whole drive and starting from scratch (as far as loss of data and time installing apps and such)...because..honestly...installing windows AFTER installing linux...generally screws up the boot loader..(of course that has nothing to do with this error you're getting...but maybe wiping the dirve may make a difference).....

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

question...what would be the problem with formatting the whole drive and starting from scratch (as far as loss of data and time installing apps and such)...because..honestly...installing windows AFTER installing linux...generally screws up the boot loader..(of course that has nothing to do with this error you're getting...but maybe wiping the dirve may make a difference).....

Mainly the hassle of restoring my linux partition, apparantly it's easy to sort out the bootloader anyway.

How would I actually format the drive without an OS? I haven't done that for years, last time I did it I was using 3.1 and it was MS-DOS :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can use dban (google it) to completely wipe the drive and start from scratch...

Richard John

Richard John

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for that, it turned out it was the disk though - borrowed a friend's and now I'm posting from XP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...was it scratched or something?...did you use your license key?