Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player Classic won't play DVDs

• Please log in to reply

billingsgate

billingsgate

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

Recently aqcuired a secondhand dvd drive from a family member and installed it into an old PC of mine (usually a laptop user these days). The drive is an ancient Creative PC-DVD x6, it works fine with all CDs (audio and data) and seems to recognize dvds just fine (all folders show up when I explore the disc). But when I try to play a DVD through Media Player Classic I get the following error:

Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system.

The following pin(s) failed to find a collectable filter:

MPEG-2 Video Decoder::Output
Fraunhofer Video Decoder::Video Out

Then gigantic details sections follow for each (which I can cut&paste if required, but it'll really bog this post down so I'll try to keep it simple for now).

I've clicked the "Look for codecs on the net" button at the bottom of this error box and I get the message:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysql.sourceforge.net' (111) in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 14

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 19

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 25

Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 34

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 34

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 35

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/groups/g/gu/guliverkli/htdocs/codec.php on line 37
Sorry, we couldn't find any codec with that guid in our database, the good news is that we will investigate your submission and probably add it later.

To try to get around this I've installed (and uninstalled) a number of codec packs (I know codec packs aren't really advisable but I don't know what it is I am looking for and this computer doesn't see much use anyway) but this does not fix the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Edited by billingsgate, 25 May 2006 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try this

http://www.filehippo...nload_bsplayer/

billingsgate

billingsgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, Keith.

I installed that program you recommended. It seems that it wants to play files from my HD rather than discs but I gave it a go anyway. It wouldn't just play the disc so after clicking "open file" and opening the VIDEO_TS on the disc itself I got the following error:

BSplayer v1.37.826, Unhandled exception at EIP: 35537BAF
If you click 'Close' application will be terminated.
Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
If you have internet connection, it's recommended to send error report, this will help us solve problems faster.
Invalid floating point operation
EInvalidOp
Call stack: 00000000,35537BAF,0040367F,004F95E9,004F9A3B,004F9A6F,004F9C9A,005035B5,00503920,0050542C,005076B4,00558050,00550C79,004376ED,0044FB0A,004C95F8,0044CD28,004CA388,0044CD28,005710F3

I realise that's probably not the way to go about it but I couldn't get it do do anything else with the DVD in the drive.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using the latest version of windows media player for 2000, media format runtime has something to do with it

Have you checked for firmware and driver updates for the drive

A demo of Power DVD or Win DVD would play files from the CD ROM drive but they ar at least 14MB downloads

billingsgate

billingsgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have the latest DShow runtime which is supposed to take care of that (I think) but I'll get the latest version of WMP and see what happens.

I'll check out the driver/firmware thing but I'm pretty sure I'm ok on that front.

Thanks.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
You could try using VLC Mediaplayer.

billingsgate

billingsgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry about the delay, guys. The perils of 56k.

The latest version of WMP that will run on Win2000 wasn't any help. It doesn't even seem to have dvd functionality - or at least whatever problem I'm having is rendering it to appear that way.

VLC Mediaplayer didn't solve the problem but it did change the situation somewhat. Now when I put a DVD in the drive I get a popup reading:

There is no Windows 2000 compatible DVD decoder installed on this system. A DVD decoder device or decoder software is required to play movies (a DVD drive is not sufficient)

It then goes on to say about how if it worked before Win2000 was installed my decoder is not compatible and I should go to a, now defunct, website (www.hardware-update.com).

I've searched the manufacturer's webpage for drivers, firmware updates and decoding software - without result. I've googled the drive name and "decoder" - also without luck (all that comes up is someone on the Creative help forum with the same problem but no solution is given). Searching reputable freeware/shareware sites for "dvd decoder" just gives me links to DVD editing/creation software.

When actually trying to play a DVD in VLC the title screen will play (on some discs) but then I get no video when I press play just a blank screen.

Thanks for the suggestions, further suggestions from anyone will be equally appreciated.