Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer keeps freezing during games

• Please log in to reply

strickter

strickter

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
All right heres the deal, about a week ago my computer started freezing while I was playing diablo 2. So I just started playing other games, and all was fine until yesterday then they started to freeze up too.

The wierd thing is it only happens with games, everything else works fine. And it always happens about the same amount of time into the game.

Now I'm not sure what you may need to help me so let me know.

Advertisements

blakops

blakops

• Pip
  • 5 posts
that cud b a few things. wut kind of appz do u have runnin in the backgroung (sys. tray, processes etc.)?

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I usally close out of all the ones that arent necessary for my computer to run.

KillaOR

KillaOR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yer make sure you have program like limewire or Emule shut down same with virus scanners is you have scheduled scans. and if your playing online firewall has to be off, obviously.

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do all this stuff and its not with just online games, it happens when playing oblivion, or C & C etc.

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
if you have not done it already, try a diskfragmentation, maybe it will help. Click on start>all programs>accesoires>systemtools>diskfragmenter

Thunderbird1988

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
All right I suppose its been a while since I last defraged my pc. Not sure if it will help or not though for my problem

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well nothing I've tried has worked and quite frankly im a little annoyed now, so could someone that knows what they are talking about help me. Plz.

blakops

blakops

• Pip
  • 5 posts
how r ur video card drivers?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download and install Everest home edition (you will find a link in my signature). Play a game for about 10 minutes to make sure the system is hot then run Everest. Click: computer > sensor. report temperatures of cpu, motherboard anf hard disk.

Advertisements

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The temperature is fine, and now its freezing with other programs, most noticably my antivirus, and spyware removers. Even online games, like from miniclips, or runescape wont work.

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
strick, have you gone to the malware section to have an expert look over an HJT log of your system because there is some spyware that can and will escape the sight of regular anti spy like adaware SE, spybot etc & same w/ virus scanners..just my 2cents :whistling:

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thats actually what I was plannin on doing next. Although I have gone through my log and cant find anything that would cause this, did recently download some spyware, that I cant seem to remove though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The source for Your problem can be either hardware or software. Before moving to the malware forum, which is a sound idea, I would run some very simple tests which for me are preliminary:

Run Disk Cleaner
Defrag again
run a thorough scan of your disk. Click: start > run > chkdsk /f /r. Follow the instructions and let the test run it's course.

From Everest: Could you report the temperatures? Please report system voltages from the same page in Everest.

strickter

strickter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I believe I have it worked out. Oh and i did all of the above. And my tempuratures are lower then they were in december, when I wasnt having problems. Thank you all for your help.