Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CORRUPTED COMPUTER...POSSIBLE REGISTRY PROB

• Please log in to reply

blakops

blakops

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Plain and simple, everything was goin gd. Until me and my friend got the bright idea to get rid of all of the spy-ware, ad-ware and "fix" the registry. The spy-ware i got rid of myself. The ad-ware, I also did myself. But for some reason I had the bright idea to let my amigo take care of the registry clean up. stupid me thinkin hes done this before, as he always says. i leave. wen i get bak he's sittin infront of my monitor, with this dumb founded look on his face. and slowly xplains 2 me my regisrty is, in his words, "[bleep]ed" (sorry 4 swearing). so if any1 out there has gone thru this situation and has fixed it WITHOUT wiping their drive, plz let me noe. thnks alot.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any chance your friend remembered to back up the Registry before making changes? Maybe you possibly have a Restore Point you can roll back to?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 25 May 2006 - 06:57 PM.

blakops

blakops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
tried that. it gave me a message saying "system restore is not able to restore your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again" i duno if its jus me, but that jus doesnt sound 2 "microsofty" 2 me. and even after I restart and try to run sys. restore, it gives me the xact message.

PookieKnowsBest

PookieKnowsBest

• Pip
  • 2 posts
you can try to repair windows, use your XP cd, and choose a repair installation.

it will keep your hard drive safe

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
See if the info here will help you out:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

Ron

blakops

blakops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thnx. would it b the registry if i cant open any programs because windows keeps sayin that im low on memory? and for some reason, it wont let me repair anything with the cd.

Edited by blakops, 25 May 2006 - 07:23 PM.