Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer Advice

• Please log in to reply

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok a few months back, I got into the whole buying/building your own computer thing. So I researched everything and I think its fair to say I am moderately informed on computer stuff. However, I have a few questions. I've finalized the comp I want to get (hopefully ordering it over the weekend), but I've come across some new things.

Firstly, this is the build I'm going (the basic rundown)

Athlon X2 4400+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2 GB Corsair RAM (TwinX2048-3200PT)
Radeon X1900XTX
Western Digital 320GB SATA Hard Drive

However, there has been much talk about new DX10 cards coming out in June/July. So now I'm wondering several things. Firstly, what exactly are DX10 cards? I've tried finding articles about them but to no avail. Are they the new "generation" of video cards, and what makes them so special? Will they run on XP, or do I have to wait even more for Vista? Will the technological capabilities provided with the DX10 series actually be used any time soon? Would I need a new mobo?

Secondly, what about CPU's. Is AMD releasing any new dual-cores, or is it the standard 3800-4800 series (along with FX, which is an insane amount of money). Again, is it worth waiting?

The other thing is price. If all this new stuff is coming out, what would the estimate price be like? This new comp (and a new monitor) is all costing around 2k. So would the new products be even more expensive? Likewise, with the release of new products would the current cards/CPU's go down in price?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
DX10 is obviously DirectX 10, the newest version of graphics. They will run on XP but not to their full potential and will only run DX9L or something, not quite as good.

You're probably fine processor wise, lots of people are like, "Oh wait, it'll be amazing!" but I find that a processor stays good much longer than a graphics card.

The DX10 cards will vary from cheap low end to expensive high end, so if this new computer isn't a necessity, I say wait for Vista and a DX10 card.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmm yeah, like 30 min after posting this I realized I was a fool of a Took and understood that DX10=DirectX 10...

But now that I actually understand what it does and all this Vista crap...

I'm definately thinking about waiting. However several things puzzle me at the moment. DX10 cards are coming in June/July, but isn't Vista itself going to be released in the Fall??? If it is, why are DX10 cards being released early when in reality, the DX10 benefits won't affect us?

And also, would it be better to buy the comp in the summer with DX10 compatability and just run XP till Vista comes out, then switch?

Edited by SecretMaster, 25 May 2006 - 08:46 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hmm yeah, like 30 min after posting this I realized I was a fool of a Took and understood that DX10=DirectX 10...

But now that I actually understand what it does and all this Vista crap...

I'm definately thinking about waiting. However several things puzzle me at the moment. DX10 cards are coming in June/July, but isn't Vista itself going to be released in the Fall??? If it is, why are DX10 cards being released early when in reality, the DX10 benefits won't affect us?

And also, would it be better to buy the comp in the summer with DX10 compatability and just run XP till Vista comes out, then switch?

Yes you could certainly do that and run win xp for now and when vista comes out switch it over. I would wait to buy a new pc until the new dx10 video cards comes out though.

The amd am2 cpu's and motherboards are out now to buy online since tuesday for the usa.
More sites have alittle bit more selection on the am2 cpu's now. Look at newegg and you will see the new am2 processors and motherboards, but I would still wait to get a pc until the new video cards come out if you are a hardcore gamer that wants high end graphics that is..

Also I would wait until the Intel conroe processors are available to buy in the usa. They should be available in a couple to a few weeks I read in the usa..

You will start to see some of the amd diehard fans change over to the conroe processors mark my word on this.

If you havnt seen the latest benchmarks on the Intel conroe cpu you should check it out. The conroe isnt out yet in the usa to buy as I stated above.

It whooped the soon to come fx-62 chip in almost every benchmark test, including GAMING. Yes GAMING. The Intel conroe cpu is going to be the best fastest chip out when the time of its release.

opteron and xeon chips are in a totally different league, we arent talking about those processors when I say that the conroe will be the fastest chip the time of its release..

http://www.hexus.net...m.php?item=5692

:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with BlackPandemic and jrm20...wait 2 months and you will get a better system for the same money...you will have time to research the newest components and do a little comparing before commiting....it will be hard but well worth the wait....check at the overclockers sites like sharkeyextreme be sure to look at their picks for high end stuff...good way to pick up ideas

http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/

another good one to check is anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Also I would wait until the Intel conroe processors are available to buy in the usa. They should be available in a couple to a few weeks I read in the usa..

You will start to see some of the amd diehard fans change over to the conroe processors mark my word on this.

If you havnt seen the latest benchmarks on the Intel conroe cpu you should check it out. The conroe isnt out yet in the usa to buy as I stated above.

It whooped the soon to come fx-62 chip in almost every benchmark test, including GAMING. Yes GAMING. The Intel conroe cpu is going to be the best fastest chip out when the time of its release.

opteron and xeon chips are in a totally different league, we arent talking about those processors when I say that the conroe will be the fastest chip the time of its release..

Yeah I've been reading up on Conroe. But the thing is, as promising as it seems, if the price range for the Conroe is anything like the FX chip, i'm not even going to bother. As great as it seems, shelling out 1k for a processesor is a tad ridiculous IMO. But we shall see when the time comes.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah I've been reading up on Conroe. But the thing is, as promising as it seems, if the price range for the Conroe is anything like the FX chip, i'm not even going to bother. As great as it seems, shelling out 1k for a processesor is a tad ridiculous IMO. But we shall see when the time comes.

This is old news and this article is old.

http://www.theinquir.../?article=31126

I have posted it in other threads on this site.

The price ranges are very good compared to amd's fx-60 and fx-62.

The E6700 is a 2.67GHz cpu with 4MB of cache and a 1066 front side bus will cost around $529.

For the conroe 2.67ghz cpu the price is half the cost than that of an amd fx-62 will be and you get greater performance with the intel conroe in games especially.

The E6600, a 2.40GHz version will cost around $315.

The E6600 2.40 Ghz version is only $315 and it still beats the fx-62 in almost every single benchmark tested on hexus.net even still including gaming aswell. So really there is no need to pay over $1,000 for an amd fx-62 and it be slower than a $315 conroe 2.40ghz cpu..

So dont try to think that intel is asking too much for there new Conroe chip. They are not, its very reasonable and you weird if you spent over $1,000 for an amd fx-62 while the intel conroe is alot faster and alot cheaper. Your choice either the E6700 or the E6600 is a great buy, the E6600 is the best buy overall for only in the $315 range..

Conroe will have two other versions of the chip but its not as fast as the two I listed above and they have less cache also.

The E6700 and the E6600 both have 4mb cache on the processor. They are dual core processors aswell.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

This is old news and this article is old.

http://www.theinquir.../?article=31126

I have posted it in other threads on this site.

The price ranges are very good compared to amd's fx-60 and fx-62.

The E6700 is a 2.67GHz cpu with 4MB of cache and a 1066 front side bus will cost around $529.

For the conroe 2.67ghz cpu the price is half the cost than that of an amd fx-62 will be and you get greater performance with the intel conroe in games especially.

The E6600, a 2.40GHz version will cost around $315.

The E6600 2.40 Ghz version is only $315 and it still beats the fx-62 in almost every single benchmark tested on hexus.net even still including gaming aswell. So really there is no need to pay over $1,000 for an amd fx-62 and it be slower than a $315 conroe 2.40ghz cpu..

So dont try to think that intel is asking too much for there new Conroe chip. They are not, its very reasonable and you weird if you spent over $1,000 for an amd fx-62 while the intel conroe is alot faster and alot cheaper. Your choice either the E6700 or the E6600 is a great buy, the E6600 is the best buy overall for only in the $315 range..

Conroe will have two other versions of the chip but its not as fast as the two I listed above and they have less cache also.

The E6700 and the E6600 both have 4mb cache on the processor. They are dual core processors aswell.

Holy [bleep]... I didn't realize it was that cheap comparatively speaking. It definately seems Intel really put their heads together and came up with something great this time around. Howevever, the 2.67ghz E6700, is that the fastest Conroe dual-core to be released? And what is the clock rate of the new Fx-62??? (I know it outperforms the FX-62 but just want to know)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
FX-62 is 2.8Ghz AMD will probably release something in the 3Ghz range eventually though. 2.66Ghz will be the fastest release at the moment, however higher speeds are feasible and likely.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Intel will also realease a 3.0ghz cpu that will be called the conroe extreme edition.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
http://www.xbitlabs....0212234350.html

found out that the Intel Conroe Extreme edition will operate at 3.33GHZ speed but that chip is going to be expensive like the amd fx-62 will be.. It will still beat the fx-62 by quite abit though and its probably going to be in the same price range.