Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unsuccessful speaker hookup

• Please log in to reply

imakeyper

imakeyper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for allowing people like me to get on here and ask a question. I have headphones that have a USB connection but if I want to hear something through my speakers (which are just a little cheap pair that run only on the pc power and have a round green connection) the computer will not switch over to allow the sound to come out of them. I will go into the control panel to Sounds and Audio and switch everything to EMU 10K xAudio (BC00), then I go to Advanced under Speakers and it is set at Desktop Stereo Speakers. The last thing I check is under Speech and I check the part where you here the computer talk and he talks right out of my headphones.

So, now, where else should I be checking? My speakers used to work before I put my headphones in.
Thanks for your help.
Margie

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Usually if headphones are used, speaker are switched off. Not familiar if this function works with headphones using the USB port. My new Dell will switch off speakers plugged into the rear when I plug headphones into the front jacks. Kinda interesting and something to check into for me. Someone will probably know, having a similar setup, and should catch your post soon. Sorry I don't have a firm answer for you at this time.

Ron

imakeyper

imakeyper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Major Payne
Thanks for your try. I don't have any front connections. Everything is in the back.
Margie

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What do you use the headphones to listen to? If CD's, do the drives have headphone sockets you could use with an ordinary pair of headphones

imakeyper

imakeyper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm really not sure if I can use a normal headphone. I could try that. I'm playing a CD as part of my schooling which is medical transcription and it requires I have a wav. type foot pedal that activates the stopping and starting of the CD. I don't see how the headphones would make any difference in the whole thing unless the foot pedal hardware has shut off the speakers. I don't have a normal set of headphones so I can't really try that for a while. I also have VOIP and FOIP. Does that matter?
Margie