Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinME

• Please log in to reply

scottie916

scottie916

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently encountered an issue ( do not believe to be virus or spyware related - as I have run Spybot Search & Destroy w/latest defs and no issues ).........

* the desktop icons have become unclickable
* the start button does not pop-up the menu items like it is supposed to
* <right-click> and click "explore" does not show files w/in the folders ( does count objects though )
-- shows either a red-X in the upperleft corner and/or %THISDIRNAME%
-- folders that DO open from the desktop are empty except for space used & object count
* My Computer icon has been "renamed" "folder"
* My Computer icon at bottom-right of folder window opens to "Internet Security Properties"
* I can only shut down by the "3-finger salute" and ending "explorer" which gives me the shutdown options

Was getting a JavaScript error asking me if I wanted to continue running the scripts on this page.

Was wondering / thinking it is a major virus and/or Java just pooped all over itself on the PC.

I would appreciate any / all help. Please e-mail me at my e-mail address: e-mail address removed so I can try and apply suggestions.

You should never post your e-mail address in open forum...you may end up with much more mail than you were expecting...wannabe1

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi scottie916...

Have you tried running a System Restore?

wannabe1

scottie916

scottie916

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi scottie916...

Have you tried running a System Restore?

wannabe1

=======

Wannabe,

Thank for the reply.

Actually the Gateway BoBack that came with the PC would not allow me to access it using the spacebar during boot-up.

So, I researched a little and found a comment on running scanregw with the /fix param.

I booted into WinME, and ran the scanregw command. It scanned the registry, found and "error" and fixed it. Everything came back A-OK.

So we will see what happens in the future.....

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know! Glad you got it sorted out... :whistling:

wannabe1